Backup - Best Practices

What is the best way to protect my photo library from accidental deletion of photos? I am sharing an account between a few users and I want to make sure that I can protect against accidental data loss. Can the Vault keep track of changes and store deleted items for a certain amount of time?

No, there is no versioning or historical reversion ability in Mylio. One way to do it would be to keep several vaults on external drives, updating one of them on a weekly cyclic system or however often you want. I don’t do that, because plugging a drive in would potentially bring it up to date if Mylio was running, so losing the images you wanted to recover! Instead, I use a copy tool on a Mac called Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), which has a history feature called SafetyNet that preserves changes for as long as there is space on the drive. I copy the entire vault to another drive, but the copy is not known to Mylio. Recovery is a pain regardless of which system is used.

Interesting idea and I already own CCC bus as you said recovery would be a pain :frowning:

It’s not too bad for one or two images - just copy the XMP files and the associated images back to the relevant folder - it’s when there are many needing recovery that it gets awkward.

Isn’t that what the Recycle Bin in your operating system is for?

Recycle bins are good, for a while. This week I found some images from January that were affected by system crash a few months ago which somehow resulted in the loss of editing data - I suspect the XMPs were caught up in the crash and rebuilt by Mylio somehow. I thought I had found and fixed them all at the time of the crash. My recycle bin/trash folder has been cleared many times since then, but my archived backups allowed me to recover the edits I had done.

At this time, and for the forseeable future, the recycle bin is the best solution and actually a very good solution. I will explain why and then bring up the two caveat. In my case I have multiple vaults, each consisting of a computer with an “internal” RAID array; I put quotes around “internal” because in one case the computer actually has an external Thunderbolt RAID array. Because the arrays in all cases (both Mac and Windows) are seen as “included volumes” by the operating systems, deleted files go to the trash can. What is even nicer in this configuration, unlike single, normal computers, is that when I delete files, they go to multiple trash cans.

My trash cans go pretty far back in history and I have occassionally used them to restore files. In once case, for an odd reason, I restored several hundred files. The process is seamless – I find the files, select them, tap “restore” and they go back to the folder they came from and then are replicated to the rest of my Mylio environment. It is true that the trash can does not go back to the beginning of time, but any versioning system we did in Mylio, would have the same limitation.

There are two challenges with this system. First I have to access or be on one of the vaults, or at least on a system that wants the originals in question. Second in some caes of USB attached drives they might not get handled by the operating system trash can.

Thank you for sharing how you are making sure you do not loose any data. I’m less concerned about accidental deletes once some sharing features are built into Mylio as I have hardly ever run into this problem on my own, while my mother has deleted her entire Photo library folder once and did not notice for months until she asked where her photos are :open_mouth:

I do hope you could add some versioning to the backups, which I proposed here Mylio Trash / Recycle Bin

An alternative backup solution I might use is having all my photos backed up in original quality to Google Photos and have a scheduled Google Takeout every 2 months for a year of all my photos. And then move those zip archive files to a dedicated shared drive in my Google account & have that synced down to my Synology. No where near as good as versioning but a usable option that’s independent of Mylio.