Best practice to Cloud sync using google drive?

Oh, that’s huge, thanks. Can you possibly send me a link of how to configure Mylio for the direct sync over the internet? I’d prefer not to use a 3rd party drive (Google or Amazon).

You just have to install the application on all the devices and log in to the same account on all devices.
If they are connected to the same network, they will start synchronizing.
Mylio Support - Mylio Setup Wizard

A link to your other (How to) post, my suggestion:
You should set the device where you want to import the photos from as “Vault”.
This way this device will always keep the originals, otherwise it would be starting to “optimize” them away from that computer with time to another vault(s).

1 Like

Internet sync happens automatic ever since Mylio 3.6. Just sign two devices into the same account. The devices just need to have HTTPS access to the internet.

Mylio will first try and connect directly over WiFi/LAN, otherwise it will try to connect directly over the internet, or as a last resort, it will relay data via one of our servers.

Our relay servers don’t store anything - they just relay packets from one device to another, much like a router on the internet. (We use an open source program called CoTurn for this).

Perfect! I vaguely recall a comment in another forum a while back that it couldn’t sync via internet but that was probably prior to 3.6.

Appreciate the detail,
Regards,
Peter G.

Is there a way to turn direct sync over the internet off, while still allowing local sync? For example, if I were travelling with a phone and iPad, both with Mylio, but only mobile internet in some places, I’d want to wait until I was in a place with a good connection before syncing over the internet, but I’d want the phone and iPad to be in sync all the time.

Unfortunately not in the UI, but you can do it on the command line (from Help / Console). Run the following two commands:

nwreset lan
bounce

To get it back to normal, run:

nwreset
bounce

Thank you Deon, that will be very useful once we can travel again!

1 Like

Just to make sure that I understand the suggestion for preventing syncing some times. If I enter nwreset lan and then bounce on one device, does this mean that device will not sync until I reset it again but other devices will continue to sync? This is the first time I have seen the command line. Thanks…Jackie

I think the point of this command is to temporarily disable syncing your devices over the internet and limit syncing just to your home/local network (LAN). I also expect it would be an account-wide setting - eg, it limits all your devices to local-area-network sync only. EDIT: per @Mylio_Deon below, looks like this setting is PER-DEVICE, not account-wide.

I will be traveling very shortly (Covid permitting) in many different countries where I will use local cellular data to set up a hotspot and then all my devices will be on this network. I am concerned about various apps that limit data to wifi because in my case wifi is often synonymous with cellular data. I am trying to figure out if this reset command will protect me or not? Obviously, communications was never my strong point :slight_smile:

Yes: nwreset lan followed by bounce will make sure that device doesn’t communicate with your devices back home over the internet. You should do that on all of the devices you travel with if you just want them to sync with each other and not with devices back home.

Note that if you have Google/Amazon drive though, Mylio will still sync with that. To prevent that, disable “Sync with Cloud Services” under settings/sync.

I suggest you enable the Sync Panel (under Settings/Advanced) and keep an eye on that - this will tell you where Mylio is sending traffic, so you can verify if this is what you expect.

Deon, good information. When my devices sync with each other, they don’t go outside to the internet and back - is that correct? I have already turned off the cloud services. Keeping an eye on the sync panel is a good suggestion. I am trying to get up-to-speed quickly. Sorry for all the newbie questions…Jackie

They shouldn’t, but you can try it out forming the network at home you want to use on the road.

Agree with @bekesizl - before you leave, you should try to test your Mylio devices with whatever mobile hotspot equipment you plan to use. Most likely it will work fine. But depending on your hotspot hardware and what carrier you use - it’s possible that peer-to-peer communications between devices could be limited or disabled.

Another option might be the built-in mobile hotspot feature of Mylio, which only works peer-to-peer (no internet). https://support.mylio.com/hotspot/

Yes we try not to go over the Internet and won’t if you are in nwreset lan mode.

If the device is connecting via the internet, it will have a little cloud connection icon, otherwise it will get a plug icon, like here:

The traffic over the internet is end-to-end encrypted, but of course it’s still slower and can end up costing money if you go over a cellular network.

Thanks everyone. I made it to Slovenia (from Canada) and ended up in quarantine, which wasn’t supposed to happen. At least I am staying in my North American class A motorhome so life isn’t too bad. I have lots of time to play with Mylio. Just tried the command line for the first time. Thanks.

1 Like

That is a great feature and I like it. My only suggestion for improvement would be to setup a couple of these servers in different regions across the globe. I am based in Hong Kong and performance is not that great, which is sort of expected given that there is about 180ms RTT to reach West Coast and 220ms+ for East Coast. If you could put at least one server in each region it would be great.

Mylio’s “relay servers” are not necessary for this to work - and they don’t do “local content caching” as you may be implying. As @Mylio_Deon points out above - they are a “last resort”. when your devices cannot connect to each other directly over the internet using HTTPS.

Don’t know if there’s any way to tell for sure whether your devices are having their packets being relayed thru Mylio. Something like TRACERT maybe?

@jimre
I use iftop on MacOS or DU Meters on Windows to monitor network traffic on my computers.
I am aware that Mylio’s “relay servers” do not cache. Nevertheless, it is a matter of physics that a local/regional relay would be lot faster. E.g. Macau -> HK relay -> HK home will be much faster than Macau -> US relay -> HK home. Even if you fine tune your TCP stack, i.e. adjust TCP buffers/windows sizes, set aggressive TCP congestion avoidance algorithms; performance will be always slower on a 180ms RTT than 10ms RTT. Big fat pipes are a pain to optimize for speed.

Yes, but Macau -> HK Home (direct connect) would be even faster than Macau -> HK relay -> HK home. Is there something about your firewall/NAT setup that prohibits direct connect betwen your machines, thus requiring a TURN relay server? As I said, using these “relay” servers shouldn’t be necessary at all, unless something is prohibiting direct connections thru your router(s).