BUG: Pin to Taskbar icon stops working after update

Not a huge problem, but certainly one of the most annoying. I prefer to start Mylio from the Windows taskbar. Every time there’s a Mylio update, the Mylio “Pin to Taskbar” icon becomes invalidated - turns into a blank white icon, and gives an error message when you click it. To fix it, I have to delete the now-faulty taskbar icon, go back to Mylio on the Start menu, and do “Pin to Taskbar” all over again. It’s like Windows thinks it’s a brand new program after every update.

Other apps don’t have this problem. Any chance this could be fixed? Thanks!

(Windows 10 Pro, ver 1909. Latest Mylio updates)

2 Likes

This is strange. I’ve never seen this - over dozens of PCs, and have been running Mylio since long before Windows 10.

I see there are 2 likes on this though, so it must be common. Wow.

Can you perhaps attach a screenshot to this post, and also right-click on the taskbar icon and click properties, then take a screenshot of the General tab as well.

Thanks!

• Deon

I’ll try to get a screenshot of the behavior, but will have to wait until you push out the next update.

Here’s a screenshot of the Properties-General tab of the pinned taskbar shortcut:

I note that the Mylio taskbar icon is one of those “advertised” Windows shortcuts (eg, some kind of under-the-covers link to a program ID or COM interface). Here the shortcut “Target” field just displays the greyed-out app name “Mylio”. Most of my other taskbar shortcuts (Office apps, Adobe apps) display targets as literal, editable pathnames to an EXE file. Not sure if this makes a difference in update behavior.

I don’t recall exactly when I started noticing this problem, it’s occured for at least the last several updates. Could this have started back when you added the “run in background after closing the window” feature?

Thanks Jim,

Can you perhaps also send a screenshot of the “Shortcut” tab please?

Properties->Shortcut tab for the Mylio pinned taskbar shortcut:

You can see the Target field just shows the greyed-out app name. I believe this indicates this is an “Advertised” shortcut in Windows, rather than a literal pathname to an EXE.

Ok, I see now what’s happening - Windows is creating a shortcut to the start menu shortcut, which the installer resets every time on re-install.

The simplest way to create a pinned shortcut that persists is to instead of going to the Start menu and doing “Pin to Taskbar” from there, launch the app once from the Start menu (if you have a pinned short already, remove it first, then launch Mylio from the Start menu).

Then while Mylio is running and opened in the Taskbar, right click on the Mylio icon in the Taskbar (not in the Start menu), and click “Pin to taskbar”.

That should create a shortcut to:

“C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe”

which will persist even on reinstall.

Great catch. Yep, I’ve always done Pin to Taskbar from a newly-installed Start Menu shortcut (usually first thing in the “recently added” list). Will use the other method instead - thanks!

Yup - with this other method, the pinned shortcut now has a literal EXE pathname for its Target field.

1 Like