Can I save photos to one cloud and videos to another one?

Some of the cloud services I use have better terms and conditions to save photos, while not being good for videos. I want to use those for photos, while using a different one for videos, since I have a good amount of available space for those there.

Is there a way to set up my workflow in Mylio so that this is filtered automatically and uploaded to the different services accordingly?

Thank you!

First - be sure you have the correct expectations about being able to easily access your Mylio backups within a cloud service’s native interface. This feature is useful ONLY for Mylio backup/restore purposes. Please see this warning from the Mylio documentation - Adding cloud services to your Mylio account - Mylio Support :

Unlike other Vaults, cloud Vaults are designed solely as a tool for Mylio to communicate with and is not an alternative uploader for viewing your Mylio library within the cloud provider’s website or apps.

Even if you choose the “unencrypted” option, your files on a Mylio “cloud vault” will have long random-number file names, will not use your folder hierarchy, have no metadata for searching & sorting, etc.

Having said that, you CAN tune the Device Quality settings for any Mylio device (including cloud vaults) to sync only video files less than a certain size, or none at all:

Thanks for your answer. But I’m still not too clear on this.

I don’t mind having to access these through Mylio. What I’d like to achieve is to free up local space on my PC when I need it and have the files still in the cloud. If I understand correctly, I could still browse thumbnails locally and retrieve a high res file through Mylio from the cloud when I want to view it.

The tricky part is that I’d like my photos to go to my Amazon Photos and my videos to go to OneDrive.

Could you please let me know if all this is achievable?

Thank you very much!
Leon

Hi Leon,

What you’re trying to achieve is possible, but it is a bit complex. I’ll try to guide you through it.

On your Amazon Drive use these settings Under Dashboard → Amazon → Device Quality):

• Set device to Thumbnails
    • Click “Show Customizations”
    • Click the “O” tab for Originals and turn on the “Sync All Originals” switch
    • On the “Keep videos smaller than” slider move it all the way to the right so “none” is selected
  • Apply Changes

Should look like this:

On your OneDrive use these settings:

• Set device to Thumbnails
• Move the “Keep videos smaller than” slider all the way to the left so “All” is selected
• Apply changes

Should look like this:

That should result in exactly what you were asking. Please note that any device will always have at least a Thumbnail version of your photos.

Hope that helps.

J.C.

This is true, but I’d still strongly recommend an external disk drive or other LOCAL device that stores your Originals. The retrieval speed from Mylio cloud vaults varies between cloud services, but is almost always significantly slower than local disk storage. Video in particular will be slow because the entire file needs to be retreived from the cloud before playing - Mylio is not an instant-play “streaming video” app.

1 Like

Thanks, JC!

I understand what you’re proposing there with the quality settings. That sounds exactly like I was looking for.

And thanks for letting me know about the video playback.

At this point I’m just trying it all out and seeing what workflow I can put together.

Thanks for the fast replies.
Leon

Dear @Mylio_JC ,

thank you for pointing out this possibility, This was was have been looking for as it allows to make a use of Prime Photo within Mylio.
However, what I realised is that after setting the cloud as per your suggestion, there are also videos uploaded.
In my case, these are mpg and mp4 files. Is there any tweak I am missing?

What I realise is that as soon as the slider “Sync all originals” is set, the sliders for the documents and videos are greyed out.

Thank you for your feedback on this minor thing.

Best regards

Gilhin

EDIT: In the first edition of this post, I mixed up photos and videos. This is now corrected.

I think that’s correct. There doesn’t appear to be a straightforward way to upload videos ONLY, without also uploading Original photos. So you’d have one cloud with photos + ALL videos, and the other cloud with photos + NO videos.

Possible workaround would be to tag your video files somehow (say, color label or keyword=“video”) and then set one cloud’s Device Quality to sync only those Originals with keyword = “video”.

1 Like

Let me make sure I’m understanding correctly.

1 - You want Only videos to do to OneDrive (which really mean videos plus thumbnails of all photos) - that part is working fine as I described - correct?

2 - Then you want photos in Original Quality to go to Amazon Photos, but not the videos. This part is not working because once you select sync Originals you no longer have the slider to determine which video size to upload (which makes sense because we told Mylio to keep all originals with the switch). Right?

So assuming I’m following correctly, for issue #2 what jimre suggested might be the best path. Instead of using the “Sync All Originals” switch, use a tag. If you use a keyword, then you could also add that keyword during import of new photos (assuming a copy import here) under the advance import options.

So for Amazon Photos (which should only have Photos, no videos) your panel should look like this:

So Amazon would save any Original with the keyword “photo” in it. And no videos.

Let me know if I misunderstood something.

1 Like

I had the problem visualized backwards - didn’t realize selecting All Originals would remove the “Keep Videos” slider entirely. Same workaround - as @Mylio_JC points out - just need the inverse (tag photos for selective sync, rather than videos).

1 Like

First of all: sorry for the confusion. The photo upload to Amazon Photos is of course intended… However I realised that VIDEOS are also uploaded. I will correct the post a.s.a.p.

I will try this. If it works, this would most certainly be the easiest possibility. Thank you for pointing it out.

Yes.

And once again: Yes - thank you for understanding despite me using the wrong media type :smiley:

I will try this, but I guess that I will have to add the color label (which will be my marker) manually, as I am importing photos from our mobiles automatically and I haven’t found a way to add anything depending on the media type using this path.

Just one last question if I may. I realise that you are keeping your documents in all of your screenshots. Is this a personal decision or is there any “logic” behind it that I am missing?

Thank you.

Great - Thank you.

I don’t know about @Mylio_JC - but I have a number of photos that were edited in Photoshop and saved with Layers in .PSD format. Mylio considers those to be “Documents”, rather than “Photos”.

Color label will work well, but yeah it’ll require a manual step to add that label.

As for documents, I don’t a cool reason like @jimre does. I tend to keep a lot of my camera manuals and other handy docs in Mylio so I always sync those to most devices :slight_smile:

@jimre and @Mylio_JC Thank you both for your insights and explanations. This helps me better understanding your approaches.

However, even though I have set settings according to what you suggested, I can see that 49 videos (.avi and .mp4) were uploaded tonight.

Thank you for pushing me into the right direction.

Have you tried clearing the cache? It could be those videos are there from one of your previous syncs and just need to be flushed out.

Were those video files tagged with the Yellow label?

I’ve noticed that video files get synced anyway even with Keep videos smaller than = None, if they match the Original sync criteria that you’ve set. Not sure if it’s a bug - or by design that the sync criteria overrides the “Keep…” settings.

Also, exactly how did you determine that 49 .avi and .mp4 files were synced? By looking at your Amazon Drive web page? Did they have long random file names, in the /Mylio folder? That would indicate they were uploaded by Mylio, and not some other sync app.

Huzzah! That seemingly was it. Due to a dumb error I seemingly also labeled the videos. And these labels are - as you already described - overruling the “Keep videos - none” policy.
Thank you for pointing it out!

@Mylio_JC Thank you as well for showing up a different way. In this case, I tried @jimre 's solution at first, because it looked like the easier approach :smiley:

Best regards!

1 Like