Favorite External Editors

What other editors do you use, and what are their strengths within the Mylio environment? For example, how efficiently does the save or export function work to allow Mylio to catalog and view the edits?

I use DxO Photolab 3.
There are no specialities for the Mylio environment, as edits are only visible, if photos are exported.
Photolab sees metadata added by Mylio in the XMP sidecar and adds it to the exported JPG.
As I export the photos to the same directory as the originals are, I see the exported photos next to the originals. I use watched folders, so the edited files get imported to Mylio automatically.

Unfortunately there is no version display at the moment, so you have to check for the edited versions manually. I use the colour tags to mark the imported edited photos. As Photolab appends the text “_DxO” to the filename, I can search for “dxo” and can see all the files imported.
If the more complex search queries will come, it will be even easier to find the new files.

These statements are true for nearly all raw developer as to my knowledge Mylio cannot read and display edits from other editors, see following threads:
View external edits in Mylio browser
Mylio not noticing changes

On the Photolab forum the users say, that it is the best raw developer in image quality. It is true for the formats and camera+lenses that are supported.
If you use a supported cam+lens combo, you get very high quality optical corrections and prime noise reduction.
If your cam is not supported, you cannot open the raw files.

1 Like

I’ve only recently heard that DxoO released photolab 3. I’ve heard very good things about it. Naturally, this is shortly after I committed to other products for external editing. I experimented with Luminar version 3 for a while before purchasing Mylio. Then their long-promised DAM disappointed me with its weak features. Their version 4 was even more disappointing as it indicates the direction that company is going, ignoring the DAM aspects in favor of gimmicky editing features. Now I’ve purchased ON1 Photo Raw 2020. I find that it’s editing features are a good, powerful replacement for Aperture, my former all-in-one software. It integrates well with Mylio. The exported files are readily seen in Mylio’s browser. I suppose I need to give them special filenames to easily distinguish which photos have been edited in each external editor.

ON1 also uses .xmp files for its DAM functions. It places those alongside the oroginal photo file, instead of what Mylio does, which is putting the .xmp files is a dedicated Mylio library. I don’t know which is better.

Reading Aperture in your post I assume you use Mac. I use Windows and have no Mac experience, so certain aspects of my findings may not be true on your system.

Mylio and XMP sidecars:
On my system, the sidecars are store beside the RAW and JPG files.
I also have configured Mylio to use my main computer as a vault and keep all originals there. This way I have full control over the file structure (very important and useful on Windows), which is also visible in external editors.
Maybe someone from the support team can shade some light, why your XMP files are where they are.

ON1 Photo RAW - DAM features:
I made a try with ON1 with the 2019 version. It was promising until a point where I wanted to save the metadata to the JPG files themselves. Then suddenly the file dates got mixed up (showing up in Mylio on the day of the edit instead of the day shot).
Otherwise keywords were visible in both ON1 and Mylio, searching, filtering and “smart folders” were working. But that version of ON1 was not able to see the people tags.
I think, it would make Mylio keywording a lot more useful, if it would be like the one in ON1.

ON1 Photo RAW - RAW development:
It was certainly useable, but it was not able to open my C-RAW compressed CR3 files directly, I had to convert them to DNG with Adobe DNG converter. I edited some photos for a family calendar.
Then I got my hands on DxO Photolab, version 2 at the time, and it was even better. Photos looked nicer with the default settings and it was able to open my CR3 files directly.

File naming:
If I remember right, ON1 was by default adding the string “_on1” to the end of the file name. That makes it relatively easy to find in Mylio. You could use “_display” instead of “_on1” and it would be displayed in Mylio by default (see one of the linked posts in my first one). It gets more complicated, if you start using virtual copies (or how they might be called in ON1) as those get exported with further characters added to the file name. I have sometimes multiple crops of files, there it is not easy to find the right one.

As a user of ON1 you might be interested in this feature request of mine:
back up other sidecars by Mylio

I have been using AFFINITY PHOTO (https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ ) since November last year and am enjoying the editing experience so far. Most features have been easy to get the hang of.

I wanted a one-stop editing place that I could also use to create HDR and Panorama. I tested Luminar/Aurora HDR, but the HDR output wasn’t as nice as Affinity photo. And it was more $$!

I use a FUJIFILM X-H1, which isn’t supported by Mylio, so most of the time I just take JPGs… If I do take RAW’s (special events only), then i convert to JPG using AFFINITY before putting in my Mylio library.

Due to the affordability, 1-time payment and ease of using AFFINITY-Mylio, i would happily recommend to others. Buuttt… I also had trialed DxO Photolab, and thought that software was even easier and faster to use (easier to export photos with mylio library), unfortunately DxO is not an option for Fujifilm shooters because of no RAW support. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll happily second the suggestion of DXO PhotoLab for raw shooters, and if you’re looking for a photographers version of Photoshop the Affinity Photo comes near. But there are some others that might be worth a look, depending on the photographer you are and the time you like to spend on your images.

DxO now manage the venerable range of Nik plug-ins, which can all be used as standalone as well. They really can help you produce striking and rich images. (If you search hard enough you might also find the google versions of these, for free…)

If you’re working with jpgs there are a couple of apps that might be worth looking at, that aren’t often cited. Perfectly Clear (https://eyeq.photos/perfectlyclear) is very good at automated adjustments and will surprise you at how quickly it can recover some pretty hopeless images. It also has a wide variety of presets that you can use to fix and improve images. If you want to quickly improve a lot of shots it is well worth a look.

Similarly if you want to mask parts of images, for instance to replace skies etc, have a look at Landscape Pro Studio (https://www.anthropics.com/landscapepro/). It really is very good at this kind of work and for the person starting out, it’s heavily guided to get you going.

I’m a big fan of DXO PhotoLab 3. Have tried several others. Many like Luminar do not have the option to “Save to Original Folder” which then requires you have to manually move the finished TIF/JPEG to the oringal folder for Mylio to pickup. With DXO it’s automatic. The two programs work very well together. Something else I read in these comments was that Mylio put the XMP file in a separated folder. That’s not tru, it lives right next to the oringal RAW file.

2 Likes

On the Mac, I’ve used Pixelmator Pro. For JPG files, it can overwrite the originals (if desired) with a simple Save command and the AI adjustments provide a good starting point. It doesn’t interact with the sidecar files, so you don’t have to worry about changes there.

I use DXO PhotoLab4. Not only does PhotoLab produce phenomenal results but you can tell it to place the processed file back in the folder the original resides in automatically. Mylio then picks it up and it now sits right next to the original RAW file. DXO also allows you to add an extension to the file name which I apply as DXO. This tells me that the file I’m looking at has been processsed with DXO. No confusion about where the file came from .