Feature Request: Additional Cloud Sync Destinations (S3)

Would it be possible to support other cloud storage providers/protocol for syncing? Esp. the S3 protocol would be interesting, as it would open up multiple the possibilities (AWS, BackBlaze, Wasabi, …)

Thanks
i

13 Likes

We have and will continue to analyze other BYOC (bring your own cloud) Vault providers. Google Drive and Amazon are the only options at the moment due to their API’s working well enough with our syncing protocols.

Keep an eye in the change log down the road if this does get added.

1 Like

I’m really interested in this as well. I am looking for options to sync with webdav. I think this is really relevant for users of Mylio, as this would open up the possibility to sync with privately hosted NAS, without having to have a computer attached to it.

3 Likes

For S3 and WebDav - how important is it for you guys to preserve the computer folder structure on the cloud/NAS device and have 2-way updates?

It is tricky for us to preserve filenames and folders and mirror changes from a cloud drive back to Mylio, as well as to move files around on a cloud drive when you move them around on local devices.

But it’s pretty simple for us to implement a “Black Box” cloud, where the files we store on disk have filenames that are only meaningful to Mylio - and Mylio is meant to be the only app that updates those files. In a “Black Box” the images themselves are still on disk, but the filenames are Mylio specific - similar to the ones you see today in ‘Generated Images’ e.g.
0b\0b0a3642ea5848e110df0c1c631f0bbc9dbe9d26.jpg
0d\0d0cf2073a183c578c11f03274429870a23b2e05.jpg
etc.

Of course, you still see them as full folders & filenames everywhere in Mylio as well as in the file system on desktop devices - just not in the file system on “Black Box” devices. We currently use “Black Box” for all Previews & Thumbs, as well as all files on mobile (iOS and Android) devices, and all files on Cloud devices.

As an upside, “Black Box” filenames avoids personal identifiable information when you store files on the cloud. Downside is that it’s not really usable by other applications.

2 Likes

The you for elaborating, @Mylio_Deon.

Personally, I only use the cloud vault’s as a synchronization mechanism between my Mylio instances. I don’t think I really looked at the files once :wink:

So by all means, obfuscate away!

Cheers,
i

4 Likes

Hi @Mylio_Deon,

For me a black box would be perfect as well. For changing the files I have Mylio on the devices I use. I just like to have a place where my photo’s are backed up and want a synchronization. It’s not often that I am on my phone and on my laptop at the same time, so being able to synchronize changes to my own cloudstorage through webdav would be awesome.

Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile: and I’m all in favour of the “black box” cloud solution.

4 Likes

I’m totally fine with black box too. Maybe in the black box put the masters in one folder, and the thumbs / previews in another so there is some sort of easier recoverability in a worst case recovery scenario.

2 Likes

Black box would be good for me too - and in my case, to be able use free space on OneDrive that I get with my Office 365 subscription.

3 Likes

Guess I’m the weird one here. I want to be able to access originals when on the go if I want to share a photo - but don’t have enough space to keep it stored on the phone.

2 Likes

Black Box on OneDrive would be great for me too. Any instructions for how we can access the Black Box?

2 Likes

For S3 and WebDav - how important is it for you guys to preserve the computer folder structure on the cloud/NAS device and have 2-way updates?

NAS

For NAS storage, I will always want to have the option of keeping the original filenames and folder structure. This is important to me because the Vault on my NAS is the “source of truth” for my photo library. Sometimes it’s just easier to manage the files through another application and have Mylio pick up those changes, so I’d never want to lose the capability of being able to manage the files stored on my NAS using a different application.

Cloud

For the cloud sync/backup, I think a “black box” file structure is fine, and in some ways preferred for privacy because it obscures the file/folder names.

However … I would always need a way to restore the original filenames and folder structure to a local copy from the cloud backup (using Mylio). If I catastrophically lost all my local copies and was left only what was saved in the cloud, I wouldn’t want to lose the organizational structure of my photos and videos.

3 Likes

+1 for Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage – I use that for backing up my photo library from my NAS and my personal computers (using Duplicati). For my needs, it costs ~$3 / month, which is the best deal I’ve found so far in cloud storage.

It would be very convenient if all of my family devices (computers and phones) could backup directly to a Mylio Vault on B2 Could Storage, rather than having to go through my computer connected to my NAS (assuming that the Vault is encrypted before being saved in the cloud).

2 Likes

I like the idea of “bring your own cloud” a lot. Actually I have several storage systems accesible over the internet that I would love to use as mylio vaults. They all share sftp as access protocol, so I would vote for this protocol.
I prefer to have the “real” filenames in the
that cloud storage and would like to see mylio clients to also keep track of changes made in the cloud by external programs. This would allow for nightly automated backups of my pictures to the cloud outside mylio, and get these changes deployed to all my mylio clients automatically.

Edit:
If sftp is not possible, I could arrange with webdav (+https) as well.

2 Likes

@Mylio_Deon Thanks for elaborating. Now I understand what issues you are facing and I get it that to implement cloud sync, you are depenant on a very reliable API.

For me, “Black Box” cloud is good enough. I vote for OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. O365 Family subscription is very affordable and comes with up to 5x1TB space, while Edu subscriptions, which are very popular in Europe and Asia come with 5TB space per account. That is plenty of space so I could use it as a vault without any extra cost.

P.S: OneDrive will tag photos using their own image recognition systems. It would be helpful to sync those keywords back to Mylio.

1 Like

Yes, another B2 user… it’s my offsite backup. Would much prefer “real” filenames… I don’t want to have to rely on a product to get to my files if worst case happens. Not being locked in is important (yes, I would have my local copies, etc., but B2 is my “house burned down” offsite backup).

Plus 1 for S3.

+1 for B2, and black box naming is fiiiine for a cloud backup. It’s also pretty slow to navigate large data sets directly (e.g. using rclone or Mountain Duck), and doesn’t do previews like Amazon/Google. So it’s not a service that really supports browsing without some assistance.

B2 is currently £48-ish per TB per year ($60), compared to Amazon Cloud’s £79.99.

I’m not sure what the draw of S3 (one zone) would be at $120 per year, but I wonder if there’s a product in supporting a the kinda-write-only S3 “Deep Archive” - $11.88 per year for a terabyte (though all S3/B2 prices exclude retrieval costs).

1 Like

I use a cloud storage solution called Sync.com which has true “zero-knowledge” encryption. It works really well. I would be curious if you could support it as a Cloud Sync Destination. review here: https://www.cloudwards.net/review/sync-com/

These reviews of cloud drive options are pretty decent

as they include the smaller more security conscious players (pcloud, mega, sync) and the big boys (iCloud drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive).

2 Likes

I am using sync.com as well and would love to see them supported, but I don’t think they have an API?

1 Like

Hi. I’d be happy with a ‘blackbox’ vault on OneDrive. In a worst case scenario (lost all Mylio devices) I’m presuming I could recover Mylio data by setting up Mylio on a new clean device and logging back into the Cloud vault?

My main requirements are for a Cloud Vault as an offsite backup and as an intermediary for syncing between Mylio instances.

3 Likes