Feature Request: Drag images out of Mylio

It’d be great if I could just drag images out of Mylio, e.g. into a Finder folder.

This would go hand-in-hand with the already requested Export-Originals feature request. An export-via-drag could either be a raw export (simple copy of the file), or an export in today’s fashion (a re-rendering of the image based on user-provided quality- and size-setting, along with inclusion of GPS/face/meta information and application of image filters/settings). This could either be done via a system-wide preference, or a pop-up for every export-via-drag operation.

17 Likes

Yes, please. Drag and drop functionality would be really handy. I’d like to make a memory book for our boys but haven’t found a good way to get photos from Mylio to, say, Affinity Publisher.

2 Likes

To me this is the the most important feature currently missing in Mylio.

2 Likes

Any updates on including drag-out-of-Mylio functionality?

I overall like the program, I would like to use it, but as long as you can’t drag images into other applications like Photoshop, it’s sadly useless to me.

2 Likes

@CharlieS , @bwbecker,

Just adding my 2 cents. Would be nice to drag/drop them, but keep in mind “Open with” is available.

And you can use the clipboard to select images across Mylio, then all together eg add them to a Working album or so for further processing or opening with …

I agree that there are work-arounds, as @LucLL has mentioned. But they’re work-arounds to a feature that has been standard behaviour in windowing apps since Apple introduced the Mac in 1984.

I teach drag and drop techniques in my introductory User Interfaces course. It’s basic stuff that should be there.

2 Likes

Agree, to some extend drag/drop woudl be easy, but then dragging onto othe Mylio icon works already.
For dragging out, what would you drag out? Previews, thumbs, originals? with or without metadata, etc. i think that’s probably where the export options come in as i can imagine, with 10 people you wan t 20 different behaviours.

No objections to drag/drop, just thinking its not always that straight forward maybe.

Drag and Drap in graphic applications like Adobe Indesign would be very important. Then I could use Mylio in one window (or display) like a picture browser and drag photos directly in my layout in Indesign in another window (or display).

And also Drag and Drop with apps like Mail, Pages or Keynote would be great!

Please bring this feature to Mylio!!! :smiley:

Maybe Mylio could put the “Open with” command in the contextual menues?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this request and I’m sorry it has taken me so long to comment.

I’m curious as to what behavior you all would expect from Mylio when dragging out…

1. If you only have a thumbnail, would you accept that as the dragged image?
  2. What about a Preview?
  3. If you have an original, do you want the original file itself, or do you want the original with metadata and edits baked in?
  4. If you want all information baked in, then we’d need to go through the traditional export process which means dragging out of Mylio wouldn’t be an instant, seamless experience… would that be ok?
  5. If you are okay with dragging out an image that doesn’t have an Original, would you expect to be notified this has happened? It would be difficult to notify you before the dragging has happened in fear of disrupting but also there is concern that not alerting you right away means you could share a lower fidelity image without knowing.

This particular issue has a lot of implications that we’ve discussed internally but I think it is worth getting all of your opinions.

1 Like

I think these choices should be offered in Settings, rather like the export choices are shown on an iPad.

No, I’d want a better version to be obtained from another device.

1. What about a Preview?

Yes, if my settings specified that. I think this is the most useful thing to do by drag and drop.

1. If you have an original, do you want the original file itself, or do you want the original with metadata and edits baked in?

Settings again! But I’d prefer the baked-in version.

1. If you want all information baked in, then we’d need to go through the traditional export process which means dragging out of Mylio wouldn’t be an instant, seamless experience… would that be ok?

If the relevant settings were all in place, it could be slow-but-seamless - like on an iPad.

1. If you are okay with dragging out an image that doesn’t have an Original, would you expect to be notified this has happened? It would be difficult to notify you before the dragging has happened in fear of disrupting but also there is concern that not alerting you right away means you could share a lower fidelity image without knowing.

Certainly notify if it is only a thumbnail, otherwise not.

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Thanking for coming back to this item.

2. What about a Preview?
  3. If you have an original, do you want the original file itself, or do you want the original with metadata and edits baked in?
  4. If you want all information baked in, then we’d need to go through the traditional export process which means dragging out of Mylio wouldn’t be an instant, seamless experience… would that be ok?

If I had to choose, and there was only on option, I’d go for: Always original/maximum quality (even if it means retrieval from other devices), export if visual modifications have been made, otherwise original.

In the case of an export, I would like to be able to choose what data is embedded in the exported image; for example, I would probably not want the faces/people-information to be included.

It would be great to have a way to decide all of this on a case by case basis (e.g. via a pop-up/dialog on drag-out, if possible, via some dedicated and easily-accessible settings, or modifier-key-presses on dragging).

Thank you,

• i
2 Likes
  1. No, a thumbnail is not useful

2. Yes, a preview of at roughly 1500 pixels in one dimension would be useful

3. Hmmm. Never thought of that… it sounds good

4. Export is no fun, but this is a good compromise

5. Don’t know

This is absolutely my #1 need. Answers to questions:

I would keep it simple and export the highest resolution version available. Note that multiple select/drag/drop would be important.

1. What about a Preview?

Only if that is the highest available version.

1. If you have an original, do you want the original file itself, or do you want the original with metadata and edits baked in?

again, if I am dragging on something with edits, send over the edits. Keep it simple.

1. If you want all information baked in, then we’d need to go through the traditional export process which means dragging out of Mylio wouldn’t be an instant, seamless experience… would that be ok?

Yes, that would be fine as long as there is some indication of progress/status.

1. If you are okay with dragging out an image that doesn’t have an Original, would you expect to be notified this has happened? It would be difficult to notify you before the dragging has happened in fear of disrupting but also there is concern that not alerting you right away means you could share a lower fidelity image without knowing.

I think it would be nice to be notified, but it is not essential. The ability to drag the highest quality version I have available is enough. Then when I am looking at what I dragged, I can quickly tell in finder what I have,