Headless version of Mylio for linux

I would like to know from the Mylio team if their is a commitment to a headless version of the Mylio Service portion? Based upon all the feedback from above it would appear that many want this feature and it would appear to make since to provide it to operate as a Native Services of the various platforms you support but as well a Docker Container (Ease updates) supportable with Linux ARM and Mac ARM support. Support headless could allow for us to operate within a cloud service provider of their choice; you could even offer it as an option for folks that would like to have a Vault in a cloud you offer…

2 Likes

Just wanted to report that I was successful in running Mylio for Windows within Wine on Linux within the gnome GUI. I am working through determine how to start the Mylio Background Service only.

At moment it requires me to install the application as it was on a Windows PC full version. Goal is to operate as service and have it execute in background to be a full Vault running in a Docker with Wine and Mylio. Wine in Docker is good, Mylio on Wine is good… All we have to do is pass environment variables and execute Mylio like a command line.

username
password
etc.

More to work through.

Still don’t know the delay from Mylio to compile the mylio application as only a service for linux. Make it a Docker image so image updates are easy and it will run on 90% of home nas solutions from Synology, QNAP, FreeNAS (aka TrueNAS), Unraid, openmediavault, VMWARE, Proxmox, Windows, Mac, Native Linux.

Then compile for ARM which should give the community Mac M1, Raspberry, etc

1 Like

That sounds great!

You can pass email/password on the command line to Mylio (/email blah /password blah). You can then also use /skipdialogs to skip the initial unboarding so it will start as a ready device on the account immediately.

No guarantees that is enough to work as a service for you but you’re welcome to give it a shot. I recommend trying this out on a test account with a different email than your real account of course.

It’s not just a recompile - Mylio is from the ground up built on OpenGL and DirectX - a lot of things have dependencies on OpenGL/DirectX and require a GPU to run, including the file ingestor & replicator. For example one device can ask a remote device for a preview that it doesn’t have yet, and the replicator will generate it. That requires OpenGL/DirectX. I realize of course we don’t have to make every function available to headless devices, but it’s very much part of the product, so it takes a while to refactor these kinds of things. There’s also a lot of configuration that’s currently not settable remotely. (Something we have to fix anyway, regardless of headless).

Hi Mylio_Deon,

interesting, thanks for the insight.
Is there also a command line switch to set the storage location, as well as initializing Mylio as a vault, instead of a regular client? If yes, I would be willing to set this up in a test environment.

Is the Mylio Team working on a headless version?

No, unfortunately you can’t switch the storage location from the command line or remotely.

You can however switch a device between a regular client and a vault remotely - is there a specific reason you need to do it upfront?

In terms of “working on a headless version” - we’ve done a lot of work since last year on the way there, but it will still take a while before there is a completely standalone SKU that can run as a Docker image.

1 Like

Hi Schwos,
Which version of Wine are you running? I just set up a Mint xfce as a VM on my NAS, but with Wine 5.0 it’s not working so well with the UI missing text and button labels:

And of course, with a remote desktop connection, the animations are really terrible at 1fps or so, which takes forever to go from screen to screen. Is there perhaps a dev command to really cut down on all those visuals?

Just throwing my vote in the ring for a headless version as well. Something like an “Original Provider” or something that does nothing except provide Originals to machines that can then do the image processing with their more-powerful GPUs.

Thanks for a great product!

A headless Docker version (or with simple WebUI) would be AMAZING and would actually make this a competitor to Google Photos. I am holding off using Mylio until they implement this, as turning on my desktop every time to sync photos to my NAS or access originals remotely is a dealbreaker. I hope Mylio prioritizes this as several others are jumping into this market now that Google is effectively leaving it.

1 Like

+1 for a Linux version. Mylio would become the perfect self hosted photo organizer.
I’m still exploring Mylio, which i doscovered yesterday, and it’s really an amazing product. Congrats to the team !

This function should be a must for mylio!

As I don’t have the time to experiment with this (especially if future updates should break this again), I bit the bullet and set up a Win10 VM on my NAS to run Mylio. I have the Synology DS918+. I bought 16GB of RAM, a NVME SSD to put in the SSD cache slots (there’s a tutorial on setting up a cache drive as a regular volume) and gave the VM 10GB and 4 CPU cores to work with. I also turned off any visual features I could on Windows and while the lack of GPU is really noticable trying to use Mylio on the VM, with the GUI closed and it just running as a “server” it seems to be running quite well, especially with those 10GB of RAM.

Having the Mylio in a VM on the NAS also solves my previous dilemma of somehow having to coordinate Mylio to shutdown before the NAS goes down each nightand the to start it again the next morning after the NAS is ready. Now the NAS shutsdown the VM and boots it up (with Mylio opening on its own) automatically.

What about running Android on a Raspberry Pi to act as a vault? Anyone tried this?

1 Like

I have also decided to set up a Windows virtual machine to run Mylio on my home server.This Mylio instance has a NAS device attached that finally stores the media. This so far works pretty well.
However, my Mylio instance does not recognize changes on the NAS device automatically. According to the documentation, this is normal: NAS is scanned for changes whenever Mylio is launched (–> happens almost never, as the virtual machine runs 24/7), or when I manually click “Scan for changes” (which is cumbersome, as I need to log in to the virtual machine for that manually).
@Mylio_Deon: Is there any possibility to make Mylio scan for changes on a NAS regularly, like e.g. every hour? This would greatly help to automate in this situation.

Isn’t the NAS scanning only a problem when you modify the vault on the NAS directly. Do you have a workflow where you do that?

Yes, I have such a use case: I also mount the images directly from the NAS to my workstation, to work on images with separate tools (such as raw-developer, geotagging). Sometimes I also upload pictures by directly putting them to the NAS storage.
For this I would need the feature to automatically scan for changes on the NAS in Mylio.

Are you running Windows on your synology using virtual machine manager? If so, have you found a way to map a shared folder on the synology directly into Windows, so you can avoid having to mount the shared folder using network?