Help: Simple but effective organisation structure

Hi

I am about to import approx 4000 photos into Mylio , and am confused about what structure (folders, events. albums) to use. A lot of the photos are old with no known dates when they were taken. I was originally thinking to add them into events on import, but a random family photo does fall into a nice event as such.

They are all family type photos, just an average family user, nothing professional

I am not too OCD about it all as I don’t have the time. I will add face recog, some events and other bits of metadata along the way.

Any help/expereinces are appreciated

Thanks
Andrew

Where are the images to be imported? Already on your computer in a folder? If so, just add that folder as a “Source Folder” in Mylio. Don’t worry about changing an existing folder structure - just get the files into Mylio so they can be safely synced & backed up. Organization can come later & you can experiment as you go.

The nice thing about a database app like Mylio is that you can organize and re-organize the images later in many different ways - by adding keywords, people (face ID), albums, events, categories, stars, labels, flags, map locations, etc. Folder structure is almost irrelevant. Pick your favorite tool(s) for organizing. Everyone seems to like different ones.

For my family photo archive, I’ve focused mainly on 1) identifying the people in the photo, and 2) adding at least an approximate date to each. I find the Calendar a very useful tool for browsing family photos, along with search/filter for specific people.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the reply. All the photos are in a folder on the desktop at the moment. I might import to a staging folder and then organise as i go, as you have suggested

Thanks
Andrew

I have been scanning family photos and importing them into Mylio. Because I’m scanning the original negatives, I found it best to keep track of where they came from in case I needed to rescan something (which has definitely happened). They went into a new source folder called “Scanner Import”, then I did a new folder for each different envelope of negatives, and labeled the filename the same way.
Like said above, there’s better ways to organize it in recognizable ways, so I sorted the photos into Albums that carry the actual meaning of who/what/when/where of the photo.
Off topic, but I continued to export the images into folders by Album for upload into Google Photos to share with the family.

1 Like

I use mine entirely for family photos and have scanned a number of old photos too. Personally I import them into the library but then use Mylio’s organise feature which sorts the images into folders for day/month/year for me. My organisation I keep at the album level where I have some nested folders, so a top level folder for the year, the next level is the month and topic e.g. 2020-05 - Lake District

This works well for me. For those photos that are undated I change the date in Mylio to undated (fantastic feature not present in many if any other apps) then I have a top level folder called Undated which I put them in

Everyone will have a different flow, but this works well for me