How do you Mylio? - The Healing Power of Family Slides

Objective: Scanning & sharing 1600 family slides

Motivation: Last fall, I learned that my mother’s cancer had returned with a vengeance, and she was already at stage 4 after years of remission and would be needing emergency surgery. This motivated me to take on a project I had procrastinated for years, scanning over 1600 slides taken from the 1960s to 1980s to share with my family and create some positive memories during this period of trials and suffering. It had been over 25 years since anyone had dusted off the slide projector to look at these treasures, and what my family really needed was an opportunity to create some new positive memories together in the warm glow of nostalgia.

Configurations:

My Library - Processing Original High-Quality Scans for Sharing

1. Home

• iMac 5k with Mylio Library on Thunderbolt Pegasus R2 RAID
    • 1TB Seagate USB Drive as a Mylio provisioned protection drive
  2. Portable

• iPhone 11 Pro with 256GB
    • iPad Pro 10.5 Inch with 256GB
  3. Office

• MacBook Pro 13” with 512GB
  4. Cloud Protection

• Amazon Drive

Parents’ Library - Viewing, Sharing, Culling, Light Edits

1. Home

• Toshiba Windows 10 PC with 128GB
    • Dad’s iPad Mini with 128GB
    • Mom’s iPad 2 with 128GB

Media Types:

1. Original Scans, 1608 4000px JPG = 21.17GB
  2. Output for Parents’ Library - 1920px JPG exports with metadata = 5.05GB

Workflow:

1. Scanning

• Research - Looked into LegacyBox and other mainstream services. I also researched local scanning services. Calculated the time, cost and output quality to scan these myself.

• Chose a Local Scanning Service - Ultimately, I didn’t feel good about sending these precious items further than I could drive in an afternoon. The price was competitive and the turnaround was fast. I live North of Seattle, so DM me if you want to know who I used.

• Received Scanned Files as a Zip Archive via Dropbox

2. Processing

• Importing - Unzipped and imported to my Mylio Library in a new top-level folder.

• Quality Control - Browsed the results, and vetted the quality of the work. Very nice!

• Preservation - Took a break to let these newly imported files sync overnight protection. (Overnight because Amazon Drive takes a bit longer than my owned devices to sync.)

• Face Tagging - The next day, I started going through the face tagging suggestions and tagged my family, friends and relatives.

• Editing in Mylio - Color correction, cropping, etc.

3. Sharing

• Export - I wanted to leave some of this work for my parents to do because they would enjoy it. So I exported all files with metadata as 1920px JPG, which was large enough to be zoomed in when viewed on screens, but small enough to be easy to share.

• Preflight - Zipped the output folder and added it to Dropbox.

• Install Mylio on Remote Device - I got on a Zoom call with my Dad and talked him through installing Mylio and creating a new account. This way it would be his email and password for login.

• Transfer - Had him download the Zip archive of the exported slides.

• Remote Import - He unzipped and imported into his empty Mylio library. All the edits, faces and other metadata I had added were there!

• Training in Mylio Basics - I walked him through basic editing and face tagging, and that was it.

4. Enjoying

• Rediscovering Old Memories - My parents spent several days going through all the files, culling through them, making edits, and tagging faces to find more.

• Creating New Memories - For Christmas, we had a larger family gathering at my parent’s house, and we used AirPlay to stream Mylio to their TV and we shared stories with the younger generations, laughed and celebrated our rich family history.

This was surprisingly less work than I had anticipated. The amount of joy and new positive memories it created made it feel as critical as the life-extending medicine my mother has been taking. The ability to bring new life to these slides with Mylio turned our slow-rolling tragedy into an opportunity to come together and celebrate lives well lived.

4 Likes