How to handle Lightroom Import and editing?

Hello all!
I am a new mylio user and currently trying to find out how to best manage my photos with mylio and lightroom (classic).
I started with Aperture, moved on to Lightroom Classic and now I am switching all my photos into mylio. Importing from aperture worked great but now i am not sure what to do with my lightroom library and how to work with mylio and lightroom in the future.
I want to keep lightroom as my preferred raw processor and editing tool, especially because RAW of my old but reliable Samsung NX500 is not supported in mylio and the editing tools in mylio are somewhat limited.

At the moment I think about making a complete copy-import of my lightroom libary into mylio + creating additional jpeg exports of all editied raw-images.
After importing all files into mylio i would create a new lightroom catalog (and only keep the old one for safety reasons or if i ever need something from it) and set the new catalog folders as source-folders in mylio.
In the future i would import all my new photos in mylio first and export them to lightroom only for editing if needed. (I always shoot raw+jpeg so all photos should be visible in mylio even if the nx500 raws are not supported).

Could it all work like that?
Would the Mylio Lightroom Plugin help for my editing workflow or are there any better ways for using lightroom only as ‘editing tool’ ?

Thanks for your help
George

I also use Lightroom for all of my RAW files shot on my SLR cameras.

I do not import the RAW files into Lightroom.

I make the edits in Lightroom, including metadata. I then export the files to a directory in Mylio can view.

From here I tag faces and add the photos into albums.

In the relatively rare cases where I have to go back and edit the RAW file or any metadata, I will simply do so within Lightroom and then re-export the file into the Mylio directory, over-writing the previous copy. This preserves all of the album links, face tags etc.

I still use Lightroom Classic (LRC) as my primary photo editor. I use Mylio as a complement to LRC to provide things that LRC doesn’t have:

1. backup management
  2. all photos available on all my devices
  3. a safe way for my wife to browse/view my entire photo collection
  4. multi-user, multi-device metadata editing

I import all my RAW files into Lightroom Classic, into a drive array on my main PC workstation. I do my editing, developing, and tagging in LRC. I have LRC set to “Automatically write metadata to XMP”. In Mylio, I’ve set my photos folder on the drive array as a Source Folder - so Mylio automatically scans for new files & imports them. Mylio picks up (most) of the metadata tagging I did in LRC.

One thing I’ve learned is to EXIT Mylio prior to importing photos into LRC. There are sometimes strange interactions between the 2 apps when both are importing simultaneously. It’s a timing thing - Mylio sometimes creates “phantom” import files when LRC import hasn’t quite finished copying/creating a new file. It’s gotten better, but still can be a problem.

After import, I also perform any culling in LRC prior to re-starting Mylio. That way those “reject” files never make it into Mylio and take up space. (If were to delete rejects later in Lightroom, the “Safe Delete” feature of Mylio would just restore them anyway).

My wife can easily use Mylio on her laptop to browse & search my entire photo catalog. Mylio is still pretty technical for a layperson but much simpler than Lightroom. Calendar View is particular nice for this. LRC is inherently single-user, single-machine. So for our family photo archive project, my wife can edit metadata in Mylio on her machine, and all the changes automatically sync back to mine.

1 Like

This all sounds like a workable strategy particularly if you depend on editing / adjustment features in LRC thare are not in Mylio.

Another strategy would be to take the older raws no supported by Mylio and convert them into DNG’s. That should a lossless conversion process and Mylio should then be able to work with those raw files. I say should because there are cases where DNG’s still retain some older camera specific information. In that case the strategy above is still perfect.

Hi and thanks for all your input.
Converting older raws to DNGs is a clever idea. I will probably try this for my import.

@Mylio_David: I still haven’t found out how the Mylio Lightroom Plugin is supposed to work. When i publish the edited photo via the Plugin area in Lightroom nothing happens in Mylio. Is there any support page which explains how to correctly setup mylio and Lightroom to make it work?

I have used the Lightroom plug in but it has been a long time.

I thought I remembered a tutorial on our website but could not find it.

So, I am including three people on the cc line who can help you with this. Probably start with JC, then Michael.

To the Mylio people, in our section on Tutorials there is a subsection “Other Apps” and amazingly to me, Lightroom is not there.

Take a look at this article: https://support.mylio.com/creating-display-images/

I think for this plugin to work, the image being published must reside in a “Watched” folder - eg, a Source Folder*. Once you publish the image to Mylio from LR, it saves a JPEG version showing all the LR edits, and adds it to the Mylio “bundle” for that photo. Being a “watched” folder, Mylio picks up the change, and then uses this “developed” JPEG as the display image.

It works on my machine as described in the article above. I didn’t think this would be very useful, but until Mylio adds support for my Canon R5 raw files - this publishing plugin is one way to get the image to actually be visible in Mylio (not just the generic blank icon).

*EDIT: if not in a “watched” source folder, it might still work but you’d have to manually do Organize->Scan for Changes command on that folder.

2 Likes