How to hide or move out some keywords

All my freshly imported photos have a keyword entry like this:

Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | All, Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | All externally referenced, Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | New Europe2014, Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | No Adjustments, Custom Tag | iPhoto Flags=Original, Custom Tag | iPhotoRoll=Moving to Kroepenken, Face | Walter, home, kroepenken, velo, walter

Or reformatted with line breaks after each keyword:

Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | All,
Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | All externally referenced,
Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | New Europe2014,
Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | No Adjustments,
Custom Tag | iPhoto Flags=Original,
Custom Tag | iPhotoRoll=Moving to Kroepenken,
Face | Walter,
home,
kroepenken,
velo,
walter

Real keywords I personally had assigned to this photo are just home, kroepenken, velo and walter.

The other keywords are synthetic keywords added by the exporter(*). Although these contain valuable information (about legacy album membership in Aperture and iPhoto,) I would like to have them not clutter my individually assigned keywords. So I don’t want to delete this info completely, but somehow “hide” it.

Maybe I could

1. move the synthetic keywords (like “Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | New Europe2014”) to the end of the keyword entry? Is the keyword entry always sorted alphabetically? If not, can I resort with, say, exiftool?

Or

1. store the synthetic keywords somewhere else in the image file. Any tag good for this? Would that then steel be searchable in Mylio?

I’d appreciated all ideas what I could do!

(*) I used Aperture Exporter to copy all photos to a file system folder, then imported them from the folder into Mylio.

I believe the keywords are sorted in Mylio’s XMP sidecars, as well as in the UI. I would be inclined to move the generated ones to the end of the list by adding an underscore (which sorts to the end) to the start of their names; and I would replace the long ones with shortened versions. As an example, Aperture Album | TopLevelAlbums | All externally referenced might become _AA-TLA-AExtRef (but I would just delete that one in practice, since Mylio has no equivalent distinction between referenced and managed images).

You can use the Keywords list in the Dashboard->Library Stats area to locate the affected images; if you click on an item in the list, it runs a search for that keyword, and you can then do ‘Show all’, then ‘Select all’, and edit all instances of that keyword in one go. It can take a while to do the update if there are thousands, since every affected sidecar has to be updated. I would let device sync finish for each change before starting the next.

Alternatively, you can use exiftool to work with the XMP files, but that would need to be done carefully - all it needs is one typo in the wrong place for all your sidecars to be wrecked! Take a backup outside Mylio before you start :slight_smile:

I’m not aware of anywhere else to put this info that would be both safe and searchable.

1 Like

Thanks @aearenda! Makes sense.

Great that “_” in the keywords sorts things to the end!