How to replace a corrupted original file?

Some time ago I had some photos corrupted by having to rescue them from a RAID5 drive. Now, some originals in all three of my vaults are corrupted, the intact original is simply not there anymore.

There is an image I was able to restore by painting over the corrupted area, but how do I replace the old original with the repaired original? If “safe delete on vaults” is on, how will Mylio treat the image in its database when I simply replace it with the repaired image in one of my vaults?

The result will be different versions of a file in the vaults, will Mylio overwrite the old ones? Will Mylio undo my change by overwriting the new file with the old original?

What are the best steps to replace the original with a new original? Simply importing the new picture as a new file (then delete the defective picture) would mean losing the metadata associated with the original, so that’s not really an option, right?

Just replace the file on disk on any machine. Mylio will override the old (corrupted) one with the new one.

Thank you!

But this behavior of Mylio seems problematic when considering bit rot and possible corruption on one of the vaults.

Imagine something causes your image to become defective, and the other vaults have the original, and the original is then overwritten with the corrupted file? That is SCARY!

Here is my feature request: Please have Mylio (1) notify the user that originals are different over multiple vaults, then (2) present the originals side by side which have differences (3) the user selects which to keep and (4) then Mylio can proceed to replace the other files on the vaults.

Sounds good?

In theory yes, but in practice it’s not quite as scary.

A common URE bit rot won’t actually cause Mylio to re-scan the file since no outer identifying part of the file would change. (Modified date/time or File Size). So Mylio won’t know it changed and thus other machine won’t actually be updated. It’s a side effect of how the Operating System works, but it works in our favor.

Mylio also doesn’t overwrite files in-place. We will move the old file to the Recycle Bin first, then copy in the new file. That means if a file is being overwritten, you will still have older copies on all of your other devices for some time (often years).

We do have a mechanism though that we use for Office docs which is to save off previous versions of a file into a “older versions” folder before we replace them, and then in the details panel you can get to each of the older versions and inspect them. (This is a local folder and not replicated - so not subject to a URE propagation.) This is more permanent compared to the recycle bin, but of course documents are a lot smaller than pictures. But I could maybe optionally enable a mechanism like this for photos if that sounds interesting? This won’t really work for a workflow if you very often modify photos outside Mylio since each edit/save will create a copy, but it does work for other workflows.

Mylio also doesn’t overwrite files in-place. We will move the old file to the Recycle Bin first, then copy in the new file. That means if a file is being overwritten, you will still have older copies on all of your other devices for some time (often years).

We do have a mechanism though that we use for Office docs which is to save off previous versions of a file into a “older versions” folder before we replace them, and then in the details panel you can get to each of the older versions and inspect them. (This is a local folder and not replicated - so not subject to a URE propagation.) This is more permanent compared to the recycle bin, but of course documents are a lot smaller than pictures. But I could maybe optionally enable a mechanism like this for photos if that sounds interesting? This won’t really work for a workflow if you very often modify photos outside Mylio since each edit/save will create a copy, but it does work for other workflows.

Thanks for the quick reply! The “Recycle Bin” you refer to is the system’s trash folder, right? I don’t fully understand the first paragraph here. If a file is overwritten (by Mylio)… in what cases, what operations does Mylio overwrite images? Edits are non-destructive, so… what do you refer to?
Then the old file is put into the trash, but the old file remains in other devices?

I understand and agree that versioning Office type document files makes sense. Versioning images would eat up a lot of storage over time, but it would be definitely a useful optional feature for people who have enough space to burn (at least on my NAS vault, not my iPad…). Perhaps it would be a good compromise to allow versioning of the X most recent versions of images? Mylio could possibly present a statistic of currently versioned images and how much space they take. The user could define a number of versions in preferences, like, from 0-9 or such.

Hmmm… :thinking:

At least a couple cases I can think of. Save Metadata to File will write a new file version and sync it everywhere. Your original case above is another - you manually replace the corrupted file, and Mylio syncs the new version everywhere (thus overwriting those other copies).

1 Like

No interest here. Syncing is already complicated enough, no need to make it even more complex (and potentially fragile). Besides - with photos, we’re doing non-destructive editing. Any changes coulc (usually) be reversed anyway.

For example - you have e.g. 2 devices, a PC and a Mac, both set up as Vaults, and you have a file on disk called: john.jpg

You use Photoshop on the Mac and edit john.jpg in place. Mylio picks up this edits and replicates it from the Mac to the PC. At that point it’s considered a replace, but we will move the existing PC file to the Recycle bin first. (Or Trashcan on the Mac if you do it the other way around).

1 Like