Importing by copy files suddenly not showing photos

Did something change in the Mylio update I installed today? I am scanning family photos onto my computer and then copying the scan folder to the appropriate folder in Mylio. This has worked great.
Tonight, the copy function seemed normal, but instead of photos that can be viewed, I have black boxes with a little flower outline in them. I can click on them and see the photo is there, but the thumbnail is NOT. Same black box on the phone. If I move a black box in Mylio to another folder, it is still a black box. I tried to re-copy, but it would not because they were duplicates. If I right click and ask to show in Explorer, it pops up the folder of images on my computer.
Where are my photos and what is going wrong?

Sounds like something has gone wrong with thumbnail generation. Does closing and re-opening Mylio help? If not, a support call from within Mylio would be in order, using the Help menu.

Tonight, the copy function seemed normal, but instead of photos that can be viewed, I have black boxes with a little flower outline in them. I can click on them and see the photo is there, but the thumbnail is NOT

What camera Make/Model?

Dear Mylio

These are scanned photos from the 1930’s to the 1960’s. Scanned on Fujitsu ScanSnap.

Diane

Thank you aearenda. This morning, Mylio came up in crash mode with a support ticket to fill out. Yikes! Once I sent the support request in, Mylio opened up to my last import session with actual photos. All seems intact and well. I notified them. I am relieved! Thanks.

1 Like

Is this a Source Folder that Mylio is monitoring? And are you importing photos into this folder (from another app) while Mylio is running?

I had the same thing happen with the new version (3.17, build 7370). But in my case it was because I was importing photos into this Source Folder using Lightroom Classic - while Mylio was running in the background.

This is not a new problem - althought the behavior seems slightly different in the latest Mylio build. The issue is “competition” and “timing” between the 2 apps: Mylio and Lightroom, both acting on the same folder. Lightroom does some tricks while importing for speed and reliability (create temp copy, verify, rename file, etc). Depending on speed & timing, Mylio often sees these temp copies and creates “phantom” catalog entries for them.

As a result, I’ve always had to stop Mylio before doing a Lightroom import into a Source Folder, then re-start Mylio after the import has finished. In this case, I just happened to forget to do this - and saw this behavior.

1 Like

Dear jimre

I am in verison 3.17 (7370) too. I always have Mylio open and use the import function from them to copy from my Pictures folders on my computer. I do this all the time so I have to think the problem was a glitch in the update that just came in yesterday…it made my Mylio shortcut stop working, too. I had to reload the program from the Windows Start menu, gheez.

This morning, Mylio came up in crash mode with a support ticket to fill out. Yikes! Once I sent the support request in, Mylio opened up to my last import session with actual photos. All seems intact and well. I notified them. I am relieved! But still don’t know what happened.

Thanks.

Yes, any Windows shortcuts you created (or pinned) for Mylio will stop working with this new version 3.17. With this release, Mylio has changed to the new Windows MSIX installer system, and also changed the location of their executable file (now stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps).

You’ll need to re-create your Mylio shortcut and/or re-pin it to the taskbar.

1 Like

Jimre, thank you for this explanation! That makes sense, there was nothing wrong, and I won’t expect this to happen again. Whew.

Diane

I wouldn’t presume “there was nothing wrong” based on what I wrote. Yes, old shortcuts will no longer work with the newest version of Mylio. But that really shouldn’t have anything to do with your “phantom” photos, or with your app crash. I would still want to hear what the Mylio support staff has to say, once they’ve been able to examine your logs.

Dear jimre, I meant nothing wrong with downloading the update and having to restart the shortcut and repin it.

Thanks
Diane