Long time user - increasingly confused

My goal:

• Use Mylio to manage a large number of photos, and leverage OCR, facial recognition, and all other tools to organize and quickly locate photos across all my devices.
  • I do not want to copy all originals as many are huge TIFF scans.
  • Like many, when I first started using Mylio - I didn’t fully understand it and am still not 100% sure what I would do if I have to start over.
  • My primary ‘Vault’ is an external USB attached HDD.

I suspect I’ve made some errors along the way.

• On my vault drive, I see a Mylio folder AND a Mylio_abc123 folder.
  • Source Folders on my PC device include many paths to the external vault USB drive in the Mylio folder, AND paths to other local drives.
    example: J:\Mylio\Scans and E:\ReScanned Photos
  • Source Folders on my ‘Vault’ external drive all point to the Mylio_abc123 folder.
    Is this correct ?
  • .xmp files appear on my PC in source folders, which I’d rather they didn’t. Yet some source locations don’t have .xmp files in the source folder - but appear with all the metadata in Mylio. I can’t determine why/when this difference happened.

At some point, did you RELOCATE your computer’s primary Mylio folder to the external HD? Normally an external HD “Vault” in Mylio has only a “Mylio_abc123” folder.

The plain “Mylio” folder is normally used for a computer’s primary Mylio storage location - and would normally be on your system default internal drive, unless you relocate it.

If this is the case, then it’s possible you have TWO seperate Mylio “devices” both stored on this same external HD? Both the computer’s primary Mylio storage, plus an External HD Vault. Not much to be gained by having two copies of your files on the same drive.

In any case, individual configuations can be too complex for us to understand here on the forum. You may want to open a support ticket with Mylio - since they have the ability to check your actual logs & configuration in detail.

I’m pretty sure Mylio ALWAYS creates new XMP sidecar files in Source Folders (unless they already exist). In the Mylio world, there is always an XMP sidecar file for every original file, regardless of file type. (side note: please see the many feature request discussions here to have Mylio NOT do this for JPEG, TIFF, etc).

Mylio ALSO has a copy of all image metadata in its database - and each device contains a copy of the database. That’s how you can view/search metadata even on devices that contain no Original files (and therefore contain no XMP sidecar files).

RE: Mylio and Mylio_abc123 folders - That’s the same conclusion I came to as well. My photo storage size is massive, so I likely moved my PC primary folder off of the internal drive - or maybe even set it up that way to begin with. I confused myself! Other questions remain so yes, a support ticket may be in order.

I’m not finding a 1:1 ratio of xmp files to JPG.
Example: A folder that I know existed and hasn’t changed sinceI installed Mylio over a year ago has 77 JPG images but only 26 XMP files. Hmmmm…

Yeah, my assumption could be wrong. It’s possible that Mylio only creates an XMP file when you actually do something that warrants writing to it - like image or metadata being edited. I mostly shoot RAW, so I’m used to there always being an XMP file no matter what.

This is what I see happening for non-raws.

Not every image has also an XMP associated with it.

XMP files contain metadata like edits, faces, locations, keywords etc.

If an image has no such additional data attached to it in Mylio, Mylio does not create an XMP file.

Update - my assumption above was not correct in a couple ways:

• Mylio doesn’t automatically create XMP files for every image file. It only does so when there’s some change that needs to be “recorded” (either the image or metadata is edited).

• If the XMP file exists - Mylio doesn’t just sync the XMP files for Originals; it also syncs them for Previews and Thumbnails, too.

So in your Source Folder, you should see XMP files for every edited/tagged image. And of course for every camera RAW file (which always have XMP sidecars).