Moving Mylio app to new computer

Replacing current iMac with MacBook. How do I install Mylio on new system without repurchasing. Hoping to download for clean install.

Do you want to save the photos/organization/editing you’ve already done in Mylio? Or start over from scratch?

Also - take a look at this help article:

Using the Mylio Setup Wizard On a Computer - Mylio

Thanks for the help Jimre

Yes I must save all photos/organization/editing I’ve already done in Mylio

I have all my earlier work stored in 2 vaults - one on ext HD and one with Google drive. It is the installation of the Mylio application on the new computer where I need to be sure I can do it OK. My current iMac has a generous 3TB fusion drive which makes me lazy in the way I strore everything. My new MacBook Air will have just 512 GB internal SSD and initially an external 4TB USB-C HD (together with access to the earlier Time Machine storage on additional hard disks.

Before installing the new machine and decommissioning the iMac, I am purging the latter of all unnecessary stuff and currently debating whether to use the Apple Migration assistant to move what is left across to the new system or manually reinstall the (many) apps on the MBA.

I am making sure that, where necessary, any data associated with the various apps is moved to the new 4TB ext HD to avoid overloading the int SSD of the MBA.

Having read your setup wizard instructions I note ,

1. Location of the Mylio Folder – this option allows you to store the location of your Mylio directory which will hold your Original images as well as optimized images. This can be moved anywhere but should remain on an internal drive.

I am hoping that the images stored on the new MBA int SSD need not be the Original full size but a preview or perhaps using the Optimized option (impossible to have full sized on MBA - for bigger than the int SSD capacity). The ‘local’ store for the full size images would be on the new 4TB USB-C HD which will generally be connected to the MBA.

The set up wizard does answer my question about how to install the Mylio application itself on the new machine.Thanks for the help Jimre

Yes I must save all photos/organization/editing I’ve already done in Mylio

I have all my earlier work stored in 2 vaults - one on ext HD and one with Google drive. It is the installation of the Mylio application on the new computer where I need to be sure I can do it OK. My current iMac has a generous 3TB fusion drive which makes me lazy in the way I strore everything. My new MacBook Air will have just 512 GB internal SSD and initially an external 4TB USB-C HD (together with access to the earlier Time Machine storage on additional hard disks.

Before installing the new machine and decommissioning the iMac, I am purging the latter of all unnecessary stuff and currently debating whether to use the Apple Migration assistant to move what is left across to the new system or manually reinstall the (many) apps on the MBA.

I am making sure that, where necessary, any data associated with the various apps is moved to the new 4TB ext HD to avoid overloading the int SSD of the MBA.

Having read your setup wizard instructions I note ,

1. Location of the Mylio Folder – this option allows you to store the location of your Mylio directory which will hold your Original images as well as optimized images. This can be moved anywhere but should remain on an internal drive.

I am hoping that the images stored on the new MBA int SSD need not be the Original full size but a preview or perhaps using the Optimized option (impossible to have full sized on MBA - for bigger than the int SSD capacity). The ‘local’ store for the full size images would be on the new 4TB USB-C HD which will generally be connected to the MBA.

The set up wizard does answer my question about how to install the Mylio application itself on the new machine.

Roy

In general, you should avoid the urge to manually track down & transfer all the bits of Mylio information yourself (or depend on a non-Mylio “migration utility”). Let Mylio do it. Install a new copy of the app on the new machine, log in to your existing Mylio account, follow the prompts - and let Mylio sync everything up for you. (Obviously don’t decommission your old machine until this is done).

For a lapop with limited storage, the Auto Optimized option for Device Sync Policy usually works best. This will store all the Thumbnails for every photo, plus some mixture of Previews depending on the storage limit you set. Mylio will choose which Previews to sync, prioritized based on its internal rules (star ratings, etc).

If you want, you can also select Thumbnails only for Device Sync Policy (which requires switching from Simple Settings to Advanced Settings in the Device Sync Policy Settings dialog). You can then Show Customizations and make your own rules about which Previews or Originals you want Mylio to sync, in addition to Thumbnails.

That’s worded a bit clumsy, but it doesn’t mean you MUST store Originals on your laptop. IF you wanted your laptop to be a Vault, and store all originals - THEN you can re-locate the Mylio library folder to a larger disk drive (as long as it is permanently attached). This option is probably more useful for a desktop computer with large internal drive(s) in addition to a smaller boot drive.

As I mentioned, for laptops the Auto Optimized setting often works best. No need to re-locate the Mylio library folder in that case.