Multiple Mylio accounts on one PC?

Hello,

Is it possible to access multiple Mylio accounts on one PC?
I guess, that it is only possible to connect to one account simultaneously, but if I log out and log in to another, will it be possible to keep the data from the two accounts apart?

Background: I would from time to time like to check the Mylio account of my father and use my computer as a backup to his data.

Best regards,
Zoltán

I’m not using Mylio on a Windows machine, but from my Windows days I think this should be doable setting up different user accounts on your Windows. On each you should then be able to use your own Mylio account as user data is normally not shared between accounts.

Thank you!
I was thinking about this way, only Microsoft doesn’t make it easy to create another account on Windows 10 if you are using an online account and don’t want the other to be an online account (linked to a Microsoft account).

Other side of the question I forgot to write in the original post is, if these two PCs can be in different networks or if this only works, if there is a cloud storage in between?

When I installed Win 10, I didn’t have any network cable plugged in and was able to create an offline account. Doing a quick search this still appears to be possible as long as you’re not connected to the internet. So turn off WiFi and unplug any network cable and see if you can get the option to skip the online stuff that way.

Not sure about two computers being on another network. Mobile devices sync over cellular as well if you enable that, but for desktop computers I don’t know if there’s another option than using a VPN to connect the two networks.

On a PC, you can run two or more versions of Mylio logged into two different (or even the same) accounts. They can run at the same time, concurrently open, on the same desktop instance - no need for two Windows users.

WARNING
The steps below are for Windows only. It does NOT work on OSX. This is not formally supported by our support team (mostly because it doesn’t work on OSX), but I’ll try and assist via the forum if something goes wrong. I’ve been personally running this way on my own devices for the last 4 years, so have many of my colleagues. There are a couple of known issues at the bottom of this post.

Before you do this the first time, turn off all of your other devices, then backup your Mylio catalog. This is the file under:

C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\Mylio\Mylo.mylodb

If you have a specific scenario you’re unsure about, please ask here first.
/WARNING

The Mylio instances need to be logically separate from each other (different folders etc.). To do that, create a new shortcut to the Mylio.exe under Program Files\Mylio, then right-click properties on the new shortcut, and modify the target to add the following (case sensitive):

/rootSuffix mySuffix

Where mySuffix is a way for you to identify the Mylio instance.

So e.g. my main desktop instance is called Ryzen, so my shortcut is:

“C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe” /rootSuffix Ryzen

How this works is the following. Generally Mylio creates folders and registry entries under e.g.

C:\Users\deon\AppData\Local\Mylio
C:\Users\deon\Mylio
and registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mylo

Once you add the /rootSuffix it will add the suffix to each of those location to keep them apart from each other.

E.g.

C:\Users\deon\AppData\Local\MylioRyzen
C:\Users\deon\MylioRyzen
and registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyloRyzen

When you launch Mylio from the new shortcut, and it will behave like a new device (with the name you gave it under /rootSuffix). You will see the setup wizard again on first launch, and you can then from there log into the other account (or even the same one if you want for some reason).

Once you launch Mylio it will name the application by the suffix inside the windows taskbar (instead of just being called “Mylio”). e.g. Here I have 2 Mylio instances open, the first one has no /rootSuffix, the second /rootSuffix is called Ryzen.

Similar in the System Tray - you will see multiple Mylio icons there. To find out which one is which, right-click on it, and it will put the name of the /rootSuffix in parentheses.

You can run as many /rootSuffix instances as you want at the same time (within reason), and you can run one instance without a /rootSuffix and additional ones with a /rootSuffix. Just keep in mind the actual term /rootSuffix is case sensitive.

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Do NOT use two /rootSuffix instances logged into the SAME Mylio account if you have a Mylio USB Vault attached to that PC. It should be fine if you log into two different accounts.
  • Do NOT point two Mylio instances logged into the SAME Mylio account to the same set of source folders. This would either be via initial setup, or Settings/Source Folders later on. So if you have a big picture folder on a drive, only one instance of Mylio should point there, the other should just go to the default location (e.g. C:\Users\deon\MylioRyzen).
1 Like

Thank you very much!
I was able to set this up.
Warnings are understood and acknowledged.

Sometimes I wonder what secret functions are built in Mylio.

1 Like

@Mylio_Deon does it work with 3.17 on Windows? I can’t seem to make it work again after the update.

Yes, there is just an extra step required (for now).

a) Download the Mylio .msix file directly:

https://myliodownloads.s3.amazonaws.com/Mylio_x64.msix
-or-
https://myliodownloads.s3.amazonaws.com/Mylio_arm64.msix

b) Then Unzip it to any folder using any .zip program (I know WinRAR and 7zip works), and run Mylio.exe /rootSuffix from there.

I will add a protocol handler for it in the next release so that you can pass rootSuffix to the binary in the Package Store location directly (e.g. mylio:?rootSuffix=blah ) , but for now just use the above workaround please.

1 Like