Mylio not "noticing" changes?

I use Mylio to sync photos & their XMP sidecar files between devices. Here’s a quick process:
I take all photos in RAW (CR2) format on my Canon camera(s). I import them to Apple Photos for the first “cull” - note, I don’t shoot anything but RAW, so no JPEGs to add confusion. I then have the Apple Photos library (directory ?) synced via Mylio - first step. On all iMac, iPhone & NAS, the images show up as RAW. I then use Mylio’s MOVE function to place the originals in the directory structure on my iMac. This then syncs correctly to my NAS.
If I use Mylio’s “Open With” on my iPad using Pixelmator Pro, I can edit the Myliio-aware photos. Confirmed when the file-type changed from “CR2” to “CR2, XMP”. I then see the same filetypes on my iMac in the directory Mylio syncs to. It doesn’t look like the edits are being synced back, as I don’t see any new sync activity.
I then import the photos into Capture One 20, with the setting to “sync metadata”, including XMP & IPTC files. But the edits don’t come through. I see the original CR2 files, with no edits - I have tried drastic changes, like making a photo B&W & severe crops - nothing changes. I use the C1 “Synchronize” tool to try & read the edits - nothing changes.
I then tried editing in C1 and wrote the edits back to the XMP files, in the directory under sync control from Mylio. No edits sync back to my other devices.
Frankly, this is a show-stopper for me… Any ideas, or am I going to be forced back to using Adobe’s locked-in & expensive solutions forever?

You usually cannot see edits made with one raw developer in another.
The changes are by default only saved as the position of the sliders.
The tools used in these software are also unique, a change of one slider doesn’t neccesserily means the same in another software for a slider with a similar name.

To see the changes made outside the raw developer, you have to export the picture to a jpg or tiff file.

You can try the edit features in Mylio. Those changes will be visible inside Mylio without export.
Outside Mylio only with export.

Photo Supreme has a feature of giving a preview of external raw edits, but it is only an approximation.

1 Like

So that is the whole purpose of the XMP (sidecar) files: to record the edits in a place that is NOT the original photograph file. I can confirm that I have used these very XMP sidecar files to “carry” edits from Adobe Lightroom to Capture one and back. To your point, the XMP is a record of the poisition of the sliders for exposure, colours, white balance, etc.

So my issue remains (I think) one of syncing - it looks like after the edits, Mylio isn’t syncing the XMP files again, after edits are made & the file is updated. Is that a little clearer ?

1 Like

I don’t have Capture One and don’t really use Lightroom, but maybe C1 has the ability to use Lightroom edits or save them in the same format as Lightroom does.

In Mylio, the XMP files are used to store the changed metadata (Keywords, GPS Location, People tags).
Mylio also stores its own edits in the XMP sidecars, but not in the same format as Lightroom does.
See this topic for reference, similar question answered by Mylio staff.

I do sometimes changes to metadata in external applications with Mylio running and I found, that Mylio sees the changed files and reads the changes and synchronizes them. It does this also, when Mylio is not running during the changes, it only takes longer to get through all the files in the library to check for changes.

I don’t use Mylio or Lightroom or Capture One for edits. My raw developer is DxO Photolab and it saves the changes to a .dop sidecar. After I am done with the edits, I export the file as a jpg and I can see the edited file in Mylio.

Also note that if you export an image file from Capture One with a “_display.jpg” suffix and put it next to your RAW file, Mylio will pick that up and start displaying that everywhere. It will still keep your RAWs around and replicate it, but will use the “display image” everywhere in the Mylio UI.

E.g. if you have:
DSC1231.CR2

Create a:
DSC1231_display.jpg

Next to it.

1 Like