Mylio program location? (so Task Scheduler can launch it for overnight syncing)

I’d like Mylio to launch each night and close each morning, so that most of the syncing can happen overnight. I thought this would be easy to do using Task Scheduler, but I’ve found it surprisingly hard to make Task Scheduler launch Mylio.

(I have the latest version installed: Mylio 3.13 (7157) 64bit on Windows 10 (version 2004).)

In Task Scheduler, I used the Create Basic Task Wizard to create a Daily task with the action “Start a program”. For “Program/script” I browsed to what I guessed was Mylio’s program location:

“C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe”

When this task ran, no window appeared and no icon showed in the system tray, but Task Manager revealed that that Mylio.exe was now running in the background. Can I have confidence that it’s doing something?

Next, I tried to use the Start Menu to learn what location Mylio launches from when I run it manually. Typing in “Mylio”, then typing “Open file location,” revealed a shortcut in “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mylio”, but unlike traditional Windows shortcuts, this one’s Properties > Shortcut > Target field showed not a path and file name but only greyed-out text (“Mylio”). Other methods of investigation that work with ordinary Windows shortcuts (like Open With) were likewise blocked.

One method did reveal the apparent target of this shortcut: Back in Task Scheduler, when instead of “C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe” I browsed to the Start Menu shortcut, the “Program/script” field became filled in with “C:\Windows\Installer{59377E99-DCE1-4D1D-9617-E46FA12FCD30}\Mylio.exe”.

Unfortunately, after editing the Task with this target, it failed to run on schedule. This time, not only did no window or system tray icon appear, but no Mylio.exe process appeared in Task Manager, and Task Scheduler recorded the following error:

Task Scheduler failed to launch action “C:\Windows\Installer{59377E99-DCE1-4D1D-9617-E46FA12FCD30}\Mylio.exe” in instance “{c7f1a6d2-6464-468d-ba99-1820b8a063eb}” of task “\Mylio”. Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402.

Indeed, if I paste this revealed target of Start Menu shortcut, “C:\Windows\Installer{59377E99-DCE1-4D1D-9617-E46FA12FCD30}\Mylio.exe” into the Start > Run dialog, a blue error message pops up saying: “This app can’t run on your PC / To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.”

Does anyone (especially from Mylio) have any guidance on where I can find a Mylio.exe (or other executable file) which Task Scheduler will recognize and which corresponds to the action of manually launching Mylio?

(Of course, it would be great if Mylio could support such a function internally via Settings or something, but for now I’m happy to use Task Scheduler if only the above question can be answered.)

A basic question - what problem are you trying to solve by doing this? Is Mylio using too many resources during the day, slowing down your system or something?

I presume you’re aware that Mylio can keep running in the background even when closed - by disabling Settings -> General -> Exit App on Close. And also started up automatically in the background on Windows login via Settings -> General -> Launch Mylio at Login.

The correct location of Mylio is simply C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe. Perhaps your Task Scheduler is having some kind of interaction with the background settings flags mentioned above?

As for the opaque, GUID-based shortcut - you can ignore that. It’s what Windows calls an “Advertised Shortcut”. This allows an app to “appear” to be installed but it’s really not (it runs the installer on first use) and/or allow an app to check/repair itself upon startup.

A basic question - what problem are you trying to solve by doing this? Is Mylio using too many resources during the day, slowing down your system or something?

Yes, that’s a big part of it. Keeping Mylio running in the background uses system resources, which often makes my older computer unusable, and sometimes is noticeable on my newer computer as well. So I’d just as soon have synchronizing happen when I’m not using the computer – but also to not have to remember to open it each night.

The other reason is that I’ve found that Mylio’s synchronizing can take an inordinate amount of time. Recently I lost one of my Windows profiles, so I had to start over with that Mylio device. Even though the older folders and files were in place (and I renamed the folder to Mylio after Mylio renamed it to Mylio.old), Mylio insisted on synchronizing again from the beginning.

So, in hopes of requiring less synchronization in the future, I reconfigured this new Mylio device to be a vault. Even though my backup drive (which is also a vault, and recently up-to-date) was connected to this computer while Mylio was running overnight, the new vault on my computer only progressed from 26,000 files down to 19,000 files to sync.

It’s hard for me to figure out which files it’s trying to sync or why it takes so long (I estimate it would only take an hour or two if I were just to manually copy all 60GB of files from the backup drive to the main hard drive – but Mylio, at the rate it’s going, seems likely to take 50 hours to do essentially the same thing).

So my hope is that if I can just schedule Mylio to run overnight, then I won’t have to waste more time worrying about these things. (Of course, if these other problems could be solved too, that would be a great bonus.)

I neglected to mention that I also tried pasting this path into Start > Run, and I got the same result as Task Scheduler did: Mylio.exe appears in Task Manager but otherwise shows no signs of running (no windows, no taskbar icon or system tray icon). So I’m still mystified at how to start Mylio without using that cryptic Start Menu shortcut.

If Mylio appears in Task Manager, then it’s running - probably in the background. That should be good enough for an off-hours scheduled task, right?

Also note that Mylio does more than just copy files. It is also creating Thumbnail and Preview versions of each of your photos, and syncing those as well. If it’s an older computer (w/ older CPU & GPU) this could also be an issue.

Yes, I suppose. In which case I suppose I needn’t bother to have Task Scheduler close it properly in the morning, as force-quitting it (End Task) is the only way I would be able to close it myself.

Indeed, I’m not surprised that Mylio slows down my older computer, which is why I want to schedule it to run at night. Still, that doesn’t explain the slow synchronization, as the 60GB size of my vault includes those previews and thumbnails. Also, why should it have to create them anew rather than copy them from another vault?

Anyway, I suppose it’s time to submit a support request, as this morning, after leaving Mylio running overnight on both computers, my new vault has made no apparent progress at all, and shows both the backup drive (which is connected) and the older computer (on which Mylio shows it to be online) as offline. It shows a vault on Microsoft Drive (OneDrive) as connected, but for whatever reason none of these vaults have helped it get past 19,000 to sync.

Correct, it doesn’t need to re-create Thumbs & Previews if they already exist, just sync them. It wasn’t clear to me from your previous posts whether they already existed in your case. I just wanted to raise the possibility of preview image-generation being a potential performance issue.

That is an artifact of how the installer / upgrader we use works. You don’t need to do that. Just launch Mylio once from Program Files, then right-click and pin the running instance to get a shortcut.

You can always just launch Mylio from Program Files - you don’t need to go via \Installer - there’s no benefit to it.

@Mylio_Deon - I think the OP’s issue is that launching Mylio.exe from the Windows Task Scheduler seems to always run in the background. They were unable to get it to run in the “foreground” from Task Scheduler.

It depends on how you set it up in Task Manager. e.g. If you do “Run whether user is logged on or not”, it will launch under a background session without a user interface. I would not recommend doing this (pretty sure it won’t work).

But a normal daily task for Program Files\Mylio with a logged in user should work fine.

So, to clarify, Mylio’s lack of a user interface after launching the Program File should only a concern if I’m not logged in?

I can accept that in theory (if that’s indeed what you mean). But at the moment my Mylio installation does not reliably sync even with a user interface, so I’ll need to wait for that issue (submitted yesterday as a ticket) to be resolved before I can test whether background syncing (sans interface) may “also” be effective.

Perhaps you need to run as a logged-in Windows user, in order to access your saved Mylio account login credentials?

It’s not just whether you’re logged on. There is an option in Task Scheduler called “Run only when the user is logged on” - you have to check that as well. If you select that, and Task Scheduler then starts Mylio, it should start Mylio with a full user interface.

Great, I appreciate the clarification.

Any idea why, then, when I launch “C:\Program Files\Mylio\Mylio.exe” – either via Start > Run or through Task Scheduler (which has “Run only when the user is logged on” chosen by default) – it opens with no user interface? (As described above: no window, no taskbar icon or system tray icon.) Should I send a separate ticket about this issue?

Edit: Last time I tested this with Start > Run, what I described above is what happened, repeatedly. Just now, testing it again, Mylio opens correctly with a user interface. I’ll go back to Task Scheduler now, see if that’s resolved itself as well, and report back.

Hard to say without seeing it in action - but my bet is that Mylio.exe was still running in another user session, which is why running it again from ‘Program Files’ or Task Scheduler did not re-open it. The best is to check Task Manager/Details and look for the Mylio.exe process, and if it has no User Interface, just terminate it from there.

It’s definitely supported to run mylio.exe directly from Program Files - there’s nothing special that happens there.