Mylio Setup Help

Hi Guys
I really want to use mylio and to like it but its so complicated to setup :frowning:

So I have 3-4 Devices depending how to look at it.
1 My Laptop that will do all the syncing etc but no files are stored there.
2 Network Drive with all my photos
3 Android Smartphone
4 Another Android Smartphone

I have set up Network Drive in Mylio as Source Folder

I want simple thing that Mylio Download all photos from both smartphones and saves originals in their folders in Source Folder and I have access from all Devices to all Images.

Can you help me out setting this up ? I have now all photos visible in Laptop windows app but when I download apps on the Android devices it starts to copy all photos from smartphones to wrong folders and all photos are already in Source Folder but different folder.

Android app also shows 6k unsupported photos but on widnows app they are fine.

Kind Regards

Hey, @Wieczor. I’m sorry you’re having trouble getting set up. I know it can be a bit daunting at first.

Source folders are not designed to be used with external drives, NAS devices, or folders managed by third-party cloud services. Instead, you can add your NAS as its own device within Mylio by following the instructions here:
Importing from a NAS

This should help improve Mylio’s performance and your folder organization. You can set the NAS’s device quality to “Originals” and it will automatically sync and store the full-size original versions of all of your photos. To save space on your computer’s internal drive, you can set it up to only store the smaller “optimized” versions of your photos.

You can learn more about syncing and photo quality within Mylio here:
Understanding Syncing with Mylio

Mylio’s Folder View is a direct representation of where your photos are being stored in the file system. Whatever you see in Folder View will match the folders in your file system. Moving/deleting a photo or folder within Mylio will also move/delete that photo/folder from the file system of all of your devices. Similarly, if you add/delete a photo/folder in your file system in a location that is being referenced by Mylio, it will be added/deleted from Mylio and the change will sync to all of your devices. To be brought to the “Top Level” of folders that Mylio is referencing, click on the “Folders” tab within Mylio twice. You can right-click on a folder (or individual photo) and choose “Show in Explorer” and Mylio will open a file system window showing you where it is located.

I recommend taking the following steps:

1. Remove the NAS folder as a source folder within Mylio (steps on this linked here – please ensure you do not delete the folder within Mylio. This would delete it from your file system as well)
  2. Add your NAS as a device and reimport your photos (see the first link above)
  3. Set your NAS’s Device Quality to “Originals” and your computer’s Device Quality to “Auto Optimized” (see the second link above)

Regarding your Android devices, Mylio will automatically create a folder for your Android device outside the Mylio Pictures folder named “Your_Device’s_Name’s Library” when importing from your device’s media library. You are welcome to move the photos to another folder after they are imported.

If you need any help, please do not hesitate to reach out to support from within the app by opening the View Menu (the three vertical dots in the top-right) and selecting Help → Contact Mylio Support.

Thanks for the reply.

I would have one more question once I setup device as NAS and import photos in Android apps then move photos to a different folder would I have to do it every time new photos are synced or Mylio would remember the new folder?

When importing from your Android Media Library, new photos will automatically be imported into the "Your_Device’s_Name’s Library” folder. You cannot change the default import location at this time.

This sound just stupid

So I cant heve 3 folders on my NAS 2 for syncing android photos and 1 for camera imports ?

Thanks
Bart

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Any folders you create in Mylio will also appear on your NAS. Photos that are imported from your Android devices will be imported to the “Your_Device’s_Name’s Library” folder (each Android device will have its own folder). Any changes you make on one device, either within Mylio or within the file system, will sync to all other devices. You can import photos from your camera directly into a folder on your NAS. The photos will be imported to Mylio and sync to all of your devices.

Simple I just want same folder already containing photos on my nas called Photos be visible in Mylio and syncing new photos from my phone.

So you want “Photos” folder on your NAS to be a Source Folder - but you also want Mylio to put your phone photos there? If so, it’s not going to happen at least not as Mylio is currently designed. Your phone is also a type of Source Folder - and Mylio deliberately needs to keep it separate from other folders. Mylio has special rules for handling phone folders - for example it is assumed you will be periodically deleting photos to free up space on such a limited device, quite unlike “normal” hard drive Source Folders".

If you REALLY want your phone photos to live inside your NAS source folders - I think you’ll probably have to accomplish that outside of Mylio. Use some other type of Sync app or utility to get them there, and then disable Mylio’s importing from your phone.

"So you want “Photos” folder on your NAS to be a Source Folder - but you also want Mylio to put your phone photos there? "

Exactly as you said. I have downloaded all my phone photos from google photos and now want all new photos to sync in the same folder on NAS drive.

for example it is assumed you will be periodically deleting photos to free up space on such a limited device, quite unlike “normal” hard drive Source Folders".

But if the photo is sync in Mylio and you delete it from your phone it still being backed up on other Devices.

If you REALLY want your phone photos to live inside your NAS source folders - I think you’ll probably have to accomplish that outside of Mylio. Use some other type of Sync app or utility to get them there, and then disable Mylio’s importing from your phone.

Its sad that Mylio doesnt let you organise your workflow the way you want and limits you for such a simple tasks. Any recommendations for syncing alternatives ?

Yes, but regardless Mylio will still require that phone photos be imported into a separate folder, to be able to control the phone syncing process separately from your other photos.

From my perspective, when you’re actually using Mylio - the physical location of your folders really doesn’t matter. You search, browse, and organize your entire library regardless of file structure. But of course other apps & workflows are more dependent on the file system than Mylio, so I totally understand the desire have more control over it.

But “Source Folders” - those folders that “live” on different devices, and are “watched” by Mylio - are tricky in this regard. That goes for regular hard-drive Source Folders as well as phone camera-roll Source Folders.

Mylio maintains a 1:1 correspondance between the original source folder & the synced folder copy in Mylio. Changes, additions, and deletions (the latter depending on your Safe Delete settings) are all propagated in both directions to maintain that 1:1 image.

I think it would be MUCH harder (if not impossible) to keep track of this - if the source files from all devices were all “smooshed together” into the same folder, as you are requesting.

This is most likely the MOST useless program that i have ever had! It does NOTHING! It does not even recognize the harddrive on which it is installed! The idea is great and I had high hopes. What a disappointment! again…WORTHLESS! Thanks for NOTHING!!!

@Teddi_Barrett I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a negative experience with Mylio. If you contact support from within the app and explain some of the difficulties you’ve been having we’d be happy to help. You can do this from within Mylio by opening the View Menu (the three vertical dots in the top-right) and selecting Help → Contact Mylio Support. Type in a subject and click “Upload”.