Mylio _thinks_ photos have edits fromm other apps when they don't have edits

When I try to edit some photos, Mylio thinks they have edits from other applications. (Mylio tells me so and offer me to create a duplicate.)

However these photos do not have any edits at all. Why does Mylio think they have edits?

Are the photos by change taken with a phone in Portrait mode? Any photos that have unique effects from a phone - such as portrait - are seem by Mylio as edited photos. For these photos there’s more than one original file: the true original file from the camera, a “display” file with the rendered effect (file name will the “_display” affixed to it), and a .myb file Mylio creates that contains other relevant data.

Any files that have the _display suffix on the name is also treated as an “edited” outside Mylio file.

Thanks @Mylio_JC ! Actually I might have a _display file in there… That explains it then.

JC:

Although I agree that some camera effects cause the display and myb files to be created, I cannot reproduce your example of portrait versus landscape when automatically importing from an iPhone or iPad - no display or myb files are created. However, using an aspect of 16:9 when the native resolution is 4:3 does create them.

Unfortunately, using the 16:9 ratio on an iPhone 13 Pro essentially creates 4 copies of the image, with 2 copies in the myb archive matching exactly (other than name) the non-myb files. The 4:3 aspect image(s) are not currently usable as far as I can see, so it appears that 3 of the 4 images have no current use. That quadruples, at least, the space needed for a simple 16:9 HEIC file (yes, disk is cheap except for internal SSD space).

If I use the mobile Photos app to save to ‘Files’, those HEIC files don’t seem to have any bedfellows and are identical to what Mylio shows as the display image.

The variations possible in Apple’s mobile devices are almost uncountable with live, raw, lens, special effects, etc - but it’s hard to understand this particular Mylio design choice at least for a pretty simple but common case.

pdj

I think you’re confusing “portrait” with “portrait” :slight_smile: JC wasn’t referring to holding the phone vertically! He meant the iPhone’s special “Portrait Camera Mode” - eg, 3D depth map with blurred background & studio lighting effects.

I’m not seeing this on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Shooting with the 16:9 cropping mode DOES create TWO copies of the image: the original 4:3 HEIC file and the “rendered” JPEG file showing the 16:9 crop. This has always been how Apple handles this.

Mylio does add a THIRD file here - the .MYB “bundle” file, which is Mylio’s way of “stacking” the two Apple-produced files together. But I’m not seeing FOUR copies of the image file, as you report.

You can always just do the 16:9 cropping yourself in Mylio, rather than having the Apple Camera app do it in your phone. You’d have only one image file that way.

If I unzip the myb archive, I find two image files that match exactly the ones not in the myb archive. So the myb file size is at least twice the size of the sum of the sizes of the non-myb files. And having the 4:3 file hanging around when I can’t do anything with it in Mylio seems pointless.

You say it’s Apple’s way, but look at the file which the mobile Photos exports - it’s just the one heic file with 16:9 cropping. It’s how Mylio deals with this that makes it more complicated than it needs tone.

pdj

That’s because “Files” is still an Apple app, and it’s using Apple’s built-in HEIC processing to display the image. Keep in mind when you tell the Apple Camera app to do a 16:9 crop - that’s a form of non-destructive editing. The resulting HEIC file contains the original 4:3 image plus instructions that it should be cropped to 16:9.

I don’t know if Mylio (or other non-Apple apps) have the ability to fully parse & render Apple HEIC files - including any non-destructive editing instructions they contain. Or if so - maybe that would only work on Apple devices. Either way, since Mylio is multi-platform - they choose to provide BOTH the original HEIC file and the rendered JPEG file.

Ah, you’re correct. I was counting the .MYB as a single file - when it’s actually a zipped archive of multiple files.

I don’t know the design philosophy behind the .MYB file structure, but as you point out it definitely adds redundancy. Why isn’t the .MYB just a simple manifest file? Perhaps a way to ensure that all versions of an image are synced “atomically”, eg all or nothing? Not sure…