Question about damaged pictures

Hi Mylio, All,

I have encountered that some of my pictures turn partially corrupted.
Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

I’m NOT saying this is caused by Mylio, just wondering if anyone knows what may cause this.

Bad storage? disconnected incorrectly during sync, “just” a bad or damaged file? (but then why)

Just would like to avoid having more damaged pictures in future.
See example below. Also when I go to the original it looks the same, and its on all vaults.
I assume the file gets damaged, but not completely and then syncs around everywhere.

Thanks for the input.

Hello,
are you sure that this picture is damaged? Maybe check it outside Mylio.
I had a similar issue with my wife’s laptop (which is not meeting the minimum hardware requirements, only 4GB RAM, no dedicated graphics card/memory, win7).
There were strange displays, when I was scrolling fast in the film strip. Sometimes like an emboss filter applied, sometimes with missing parts displayed checkered.
Solution was, that the machine specifications is not meeting the minimum requirements.

Hi @bekesizl, thanks for the suggestion. I dont his its the specs of the laptop. And yes the original has the same. its not Mylio as such i believe. the original image got impacted.
Not sure if it was by any use of Mylio or caused by any other operation on the storage etc.

See screen print below from preview of the original image

Thanks for the suggestion though

To my knowledge, Mylio only touches photos directly if select Photos-Save metadata to file. Otherwise it only writes to the xmp sidecar file.

Thats why i mentioned i’m pretty sure its not caused by Mylio. Im wondering what could cause it.

I have seen this too - and when I traced it back, the archived originals were good, but the same images in my previous asset manager were also damaged, so it happened before I adopted Mylio. I suspect a bad copy when images were being moved from a smaller drive to a bigger one, or maybe an out of date EXIF management tool that I used to use. I was able to reprocess the originals, and all was well. It affected about 6 images out of 78,000.

Thanks @aearenda for the input. I might indeed have caused by copying the images from one drive to another or so. Its probably about a dozen out of almost 250K so not too bad and i have others of it. Just trying to figure it out before i lose more.
Thanks again for the input.

Any other experiences from anyone?

Hello,

In any case, try to repeat the import from the camera / device, preferably to another device or look at the picture on the camera.

Imports via a USB port without a power plug cause me to have faulty photos in the Apple Photos app.

At least it was like that with me.

In the past, cameras caused such pictures, I mean even when they were taken, but they were devices >2010.

let them know if it helped you or it was a tip.

best regards,
Damian Rutkowski

Hi @Damntec, thanks for the tip. The picture was originally correct imported. They are old pictures that just “tuned” damaged as some point.

It may be worth pulling the S.M.A.R.T statistics on your drive and see if your drive is reporting any Media errors.

Yep. Tried that but nothing reported. All looks good.
Thanks for the tip though.
It’s because that was all clean I really can’t figure out how they got damaged.
I have the feeling some backend process damaged the files but I don’t know when/how/ or for what reason.

1 Like

I have been having the exact same issue! Luckily I pulled the mylio folder manually to my hard drive, so every time I find one, I pull a copy from the hard drive. I thought it was due to one of a few programs I was using to try to copy the Mylio folder to Dropbox (without using Dropbox’s native app & taking up double the room on my computer). There was a day where I accidentally “moved” the files instead of copied and I think that’s when this happened because all photos I found like this had the same modified date (except one… but even the manual copy on the hard drive had the corruption so that could be a different thing altogether).
I also use the “save metadata” function a LOT.

1 Like

Hi @katie180,
Thanks for sharing the experience. Im still puzzled to what and when it happens. I had it even happening before i used Mylio and in previous apps i also used something like saving metadata a lot (to save IPTC info). I hope we dont get hit too much with it. As for me the disruption has been replicated across my devices by the time i realiyed so too late for me, luckily i had multiple shots and some are still fine.

I also had some photos affected by this, but I believe the corruption appeared outside of Mylio during some transfer.

I added a feature request for what I think could be a good way to identify such files. Feel free to chime in with additional ideas or simply like the post if you think it a good idea. :slight_smile:

Does mylio do hashes on images? So if the original file you imported was not corrupted and then got corrupted on another vault, but not the others, the corrupted file would be automatically restored to the last known good version?

@Mac

Yes, we have full file hashes, so we know when the file changes.

It will roll back if you have “Show file changes” turned on and then click on the ‘x’ to roll back the change. By default the change will propagate to all devices. (The previous version of the file will go into the Recycle bin/Trashcan).

We however only try and re-read the file and update other devices if the date/time/size of the file change - we don’t periodically scan the file to see if the hash changed. (It would take far too long). That means if there is a bit-flip on disk it is very unlikely to propagate to other devices since it would have to simultaneously have the issue both inside the file AND somehow change the date/time of the same file.

It might be useful for us to add a command that you can run once a year or so to see if the bits on disk still matches the hash, even if it has to run for a week (in the background).

2 Likes

When Mylio pops up that window for “show file changes”, I would love if it was a bit more detailed, but most importantly, that I would have to actually click the X (preferably a cancel type button instead though) because I have definitely had times where that window popped up on my unexpectedly and I would up clicking outside the window, which acted (I think) like clicking the X.

1 Like

Adding to what @katie180 said, I do not like using “x” closing a popup to make a choice. Can we have two clear buttons indicating the options of “Rollback” or “Propagate” changes/deletes detected? Clicking “x” should show the popup again asking for a definite choice via the buttons.

2 Likes