Save metadata to file - some questions

I guess that one of the advantages of saving metadata to files is that it is visible for other applications. Does this slow Mylio a lot? Any disadvantages?

1 Like

@flindland you mean saving the metadata to xml files?
Thats actually what makes it faster for Mylio to synchronise.

The xml files are very small in comparison to the real image files which are probably megabytes or 10s of megabytes these days, so having to only synchronise xml files which are only a few Kb is much faster each time you change metadata.

So the original is synchronized once, then only the xml files are synchronized when you change the metadata.

No, I think Mylio always saves metadata to .XMP files by default. The Mylio “Save Metadata to File” command really means “EMBED Metadata to ORIGINAL file” - for those file formats that support it, like JPEG or TIFF. It would be a duplicate of the metadata in the .XMP file. Some apps (like Adobe Lightroom) ignore the .XMP file in favor of embedded metadata, at least for non-RAW files.

Ok. But this means that all raw-photos will save metadata to xmp by default. And it means that all photos taken with my iphone (jpgs) will need the save metadata to file to make the changes done visible for other applications? For example if I starrate a jpg photo in Mylio, this will not be visible in other applications if I don`t save metadata to file. I think I checked that, but I might be wrong…

Yes, you are right.
If you change (e.g. star rate) JPG (and TIFF and DNG) photos in Mylio and want to see those ratings in another tool (say IMatch), you have to apply “Save metadata to file” to see those changes there.

This can be tricky as Mylio doesn’t show, where were made changes, what you have to rewrite.

There are two feature requests running for making life easier:

You can read them and add your opinion there, too.

I love this community:) So many helpful people! And it is fun to try to make Mylio even better.

1 Like

The comments made here are all correct. We plan to do more in this area in the medium term future. XMP files have a variety of important uses and are essential in the case of raw files which have no other place to store most metadata. The two exceptions are jpg (not raw, okay) and DNG (is raw) which both provided for embedded XMP’s. In addition the two major advantages of XMP’s are that, as described above, they are small and replicate quickly, and as text files can be worked on with third party tools or even notepad.

All that said, there are two drawbacks to sidecar XMP’s. In the case of JPG’s and DNG’s user find ti confusing to have sidecars there. This is even worse for documents; users just don’t expect to see a sidecar for each file. So, we are going to implement two improvements.

First we will offer a preference switch to cause XMP data to be embedded in JPG’s and DNG’s automatically. At the same time we will probably implement “differential replication” so that we don’t replicate entire original files every time some metadata changes. Second we will offer the option to “not store the XMP’s in the folder”. Mylio will still have them cached and the same data will be in the catalog.

So, we know about this and have a plan. It is just not going to happen particularly soon because there are other more important changes in the queue earlier.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update about future plans, they are very welcome on my side.

Speaking of formats, don’t forget TIFF from the list where metadata needs to be embedded. It is not a native camera format, but externally edited photos might often be stored in this format for better quality/bigger bit depth.

For your first version I wish the ability to set, where I don’t want the differental replication (because some other tool is accessing files there needing to see the complete version), at first on my main PC (vault).

For your second version you should explicitly state in the settings and documentation to choose this option only, if they don’t want to use other software for the photos, as this would cause an even bigger compatibility issue than today.

David:

You and I have been discussing video sidecars ever since they were eliminated.

Could you describe current plans for them? Having metadata locked up in the catalog with no way for external applications to read or write it chains us to Mylio - we can’t escape without the loss of the metadata.

It’s a concern for photos as well as videos. The many discussions on the forum about round trips to external editors is all about the way metadata is maintained, especially for the media types that do not support embedded XMP.

pdj

@Mylio_David, as you plan this feature I’d request you also include TIFF files in the list of file types with “embedded” XMP metadata. Most of my good “finished” photographs are in TIFF format, having been round-tripped from Lightroom to Photoshop (for finishing touches) and back. Thanks.

Is it possible to embed an XMP in a TIFF. My knowledgebase in my head, says that it is not possible, and most things I’ve read that talk about embedded XMP list only jpg and dng.

It is absolutely possible and the intended way.

See this article, section “Embedding”

Or this document from Adobe

Part of the Table of Contents:
Last paragraphs of the TIFF section:
1 Like

Yes - this is how Adobe (LR/PS) handles TIFF files. No sidecar files, xmp metadata is embedded in the TIFF file. Similar to how they handle JPEG & DNG files.

Then consider it done . . . when we get there.

| jimre
November 14 |

• | - |

Yes - this is how Adobe (LR/PS) handles TIFF files. No sidecar files, xmp metadata is embedded in the TIFF file. Similar to how they handle JPEG & DNG files.

Can XML files be embedded in iPhone’s native .heic image files?

It is hard to find a clear answer quickly, but I think the answer is “no”.

Interesting, so where is also the information (GPS, camera, date…) stored for .heic files?

It may be that there is a way to embed the com. Then there is the question of how this fits with iOS

Hans
November 18

Interesting, so where is also the information (GPS, camera, date…) stored for .heic files?

While it may be possible - I’ll note that Adobe does NOT embed metadata in HEIC files. Lightroom creates an XMP sidecar file for HEIC, just like with RAW files.

For me, a primary goal of this feature is better metadata interop with other apps. So in this case, embedding XMP metadata in HEIC would actually CAUSE another problem. My request here: “Do Whatever Adobe Does”.

I’m no expert. I just want my photos to be as application agnostic as possible so they can be imported and used easily. Maybe the Adobe way is the safest.