Using CaptureOne Pro and Mylio (one approach)

I’m a new Mylio user, really new, but a 25 year IT veteran, semi-pro photographer and long time CaptureOne Pro aficionado. I’m experimenting right now with some workflow options using Mylio as the tail end to my existing CaptureOne Pro workflow. My goal is to get a Mylio library going which is sort of a ‘best of the best’ from my piles of images in CaptureOne.

Right now it looks like this:

1. I often capture images using a CaptureOne Pro “session” (C1 supports both Sessions and Catalogs. A Session is meant to be used for a project or assignment, tethered or not tethered. I use Sessions for tethered headshot sessions, a vacation week, a family shoot, a sports event etc.). They are handy because all the edits and raws are kept within a single folder structure, making it easy to copy and move.

2. I can’t see making Mylio my raw processor for a number of reasons. Mainly I’ve grown to love the power of C1’s tethering ability and it’s extensive sets of editing tools (layers with masks, color management controls, curve tool with luminosity option, etc, etc). I do use Affinity Photo for certain edits outside of C1. I also have DXO Photolab which is also very powerful. I often take advantage of “bulk edits” where I can take, say, a white balance on one photo and paste it across multiple others rapidly so I’m not inclined to start in Mylio and go to an external editor one at a time.

3. I want to leverage Mylio as my “extended Portfolio” or my “catalog of keepers” . The goal is to render high quality jpgs to a new folder structure monitored by Mylio. Then have that catalog available on a few devices at all times.

4. Typically I will shoot a C1 Session (say a headshot session with 100 images). I will then whittle it down to 4 or 5 keepers that I send to a client. My keepers will have three stars and above.

5. Then I will run an output batch process to send ONLY the keepers (3 stars or more) to a folder structure monitored by Mylio. Mylio will get a JPG from C1 with all edits at a reduced size but big enough for viewing on most monitors.

6. C1’s output module is highly programmable, (they are called “process recipes”) and my plan is that the filename of the jpg landing in the Mylio folders will include where the processed image came from (camera filename, the C1 Session name and folder). This way, if I’m ever in Mylio and need to go back to the RAWs (perhaps to print, or maybe to reprocess), I know exactly where it resides. In that scenario, I would re-edit the RAW in C1, and re-export it to Mylio folders with a few clicks using a “process recipe”.

I understand I am not taking advantage of Mylio’s raw processor and ability to invoke external editors. But I feel this let’s me take advantage of my existing image editing tool (with the best tethering out there) while providing an “on every device” gallery or portfolio of my images. (For example, I shoot some sporting events sometimes where I may shoot 2,000 images in 3 hours and cut it down to a dozen “winners” that I’d send to Mylio).

So far I like how it’s starting to look (but all this is subject to change). I will probably use Mylio editing to some extent, mostly for my iPhone shots and other personal jpgs I send to the Mylio folders.

It’s not perfect but I’m able to go into C1 and filter to see all the images I sent to the Mylio folders based on some keyboarding I do.

Best regards,
PG

2 Likes

If re-editing and re-exporting is OK then it sounds good. Syncing is Mylio’s strongest feature in my opinion. The syncing seems robust and that can be a weakness in many programs. Test re-editing and re-exporting to make sure you don’t lose anything organization or information in Mylio. In other words it has to go into the same folder but won’t have any of Mylio’s album structure if you plan to use that. If you want the photos in a certain order that may get lost.

It’s too bad photo software don’t share .xmp very well. Understandable since they often use proprietary edits and privacy issues. Maybe we’ll get there someday. macOS can natively read .xls, .pdf, and Word docs. But photo metadata has a lot of history.

Editing is not a Mylio strong point and since you’re comfortable in more capable editors stay with them.

Another thing to think about is that there are efforts to go beyond jpg. Apple has with HEIC and I just read about another effort to handle HDR. Video and still incompatibilities.

Thanks for the reply. I find that I don’t generally go back to edit files after a project/vacation/job is done. I tend to edit that set of images and move on. There are exceptions of course, but they are rare enough that they aren’t a concern.

I did create a way that C1 will export to the same exact folder any time I do decide to re-edit and re-send it back to the Mylio folders. In fact, I initially exported 36k images in one click to Mylio, creating folders based on the RAW’s folder name as a batch job just grinded for an hour or so. The filenames in the Mylio folders reflect the year and name of the original raw file folder name too. Anyway, it gives me an easy way to follow the bread crumbs back to the RAWs… which again, is rare.

In CaptureOne, I added a keyword “Mylio” to all images sent to Mylio. This way I can show any new raw images with 3 stars which have not yet been sent to Mylio. My thought is that I “send to Mylio” once a job/project/vacation is done and not before.

Thanks for this. I’m new to Mylio and plan to use it in much the same way as you describe (as a library of “keepers”). I’ve always called my keeper export a “Digital Print Archive”, and Mylio is working great at managing/syncing it now. I’m still working out the details, and your writeup has helped.

One thing that confuses things is that I’m also importing my iPhone photos, since it’s an easy way to get them into my library without importing them from the phone into C1 first (as I used to do). This makes Mylio my “Digital Print Archive and iPhone library” which is a little different than planned :slight_smile:. Still thinking this through.

You’re very welcome. While I’m happy with that “library of keepers” concept so far. I’ve been experimenting with Myilo for my raws by leveraging Capture1 “sessions” in conjunction with Mylio source folders. The idea here would be to use C1 (in Session mode) as an external editor.

Preliminarily, it works pretty well. If you have a Source Folder in Mylio that includes RAWs, edit-with any file in that folder in C1 (make sure C1 is already open an in a Session), then C1 opens up that folder and let’s you browse/edit all all the images from that same folder. That is actually good because you can do batch edits to all images and a batch output them to .jpg back into the mylio folder. This results in the RAW and the rendered JPGs in the same folder. With the xmp options active, ratings changes and keywording show up in Mylio as well.

The mylio view of original raw does not show the raw c1 edits (as you might expect), but the rendered .jpgs look perfect. For mylio to show the results of raw c1 edits it would have to leverage c1’s “.cop” file (preview file) somehow. C1 deposits these in a subfolder automatically when you do an “edit with”.

Anyway, it is probably not unlike using DXO Photolab and sending the rendered JPG back to the originating folder. If nothing else it is making me consider other ways I can use Mylio.

Yes, the more I use Mylio the more I want to bring everything in. Good tips for C1, thanks! I’m a little concerned about duplicates, what with my “burned” jpgs, original raws, and the keepers archive. Maybe folders/categories can help with that, but I kind of like the way “All Photos” works now and would hate to pollute that view with duplicates from multiple sources.

After spending a few weeks with mylio I agree with jackbaty in wanting to bring “everything in” ! I have an approach and have moved about 40k images from my old referenced area to my new Mylio Source folder area. I’m keeping my CaptureOne catalog edits by Exporting the images with a couple checkboxes set. Later on, in Mylio, I can “open with” any image from Mylio and it comes up in C1 with any previous C1 edits. I’ve got a long way to go however…