Video Importing lost date

Hy, when I export my Videos from Applephotos APP the Date from Metadata is gone and Mylio takes a Date a few Weeks ago.
Very Strange.
Does anyone has the same Problem. How can I Fix this?

megawolff

I am also running into this issue. I recently imported several hundred videos in MOV format into the Mylio media directories. All of the dates were based on the file creation date which is for some reason always different from the actual date it was shot in Apple.

Is there a quick way to fix this? Or should I be importing video files differently from photos?

To import the file, I merely copy it into an existing Mylio directory and let Mylio’s auto-detect feature find and process the file.

I see the same for the videos I imported on my iPad over the last few days. It takes the current date instead of the date the video was taken on. I’m using the Photosync app to rename videos automatically to my file naming scheme (which includes the date and time taken in the filename as well so I can easily view that) and then share the videos to Mylio.

My devices are still running Mylio 3.8 (6658) as I still have a Mac OS 10.12 device and I’m waiting for people reporting issues with 10.12 and 10.13 to confirm that the issues are resolved.

I have been doing some research on workarounds, as I have a queue of several thousand video files that need metadata fixed.

It looks like Mylio is using the “last modified date” of video files as a proxy for the “date taken”, instead of digging into the metadata.

I haven’t tried this yet, but I think if you first batch process your video files during the intake process to change their last modified dates, Mylio will import the date correctly. I believe Exiftool can do this batch processing, as discussed here: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=5007.0

If anyone has already tried this, would love to hear about your experience.

Ok, so I am in the middle of learning how to use Exiftool to help solve this issue and incorporate it into my import process.

Before you import Apple MOV files into Mylio, you should separate them into a separate directory. Using Exiftool, you can run the following command from the command prompt:

ExifTool “-FileModifyDate<CreationDate” *.mov

This will change the Date Modified tag in the file system to the Creation Date tag from the metadata in the file.

After you make this change to all the files in the directory, you can copy them into the Mylio folder destination and Mylio will be able to recognize the corrected date from the Date Modified attribute.

Note: I am still a newbie at Exiftool, so be careful before you try this by testing it out yourself. I have not tried it for other file types.

Thanks Lucky for sharing your findings.

On an iOS device there’s however not an option to change the file date.

I also tried sharing a video directly from the iOS Photos app that was taken on the device and not processed by any other app, but it’s still not picking up the date taken. That’s even with the latest Mylio 3.9 version.

@Mylio_Michael: Would you be able to check into this as for traveling I’m now using my iPad as the hub to transfer all my stuff into Mylio and it’s quite a hassle to have to edit the date/time on all imported videos within Mylio (and then they’re also not fully accurate as I can’t set the seconds).
Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your command, I would like to make some additions.

I have encountered some problem on Windows before and used exiftool to solve it. This was more complicated than I thought.

I have photos/videos took by different device, and some of file has been transcoded. The metadata of different type of files can be very different. For example, run this command:

exiftool *.mp4

You will see something like “File Modification Date/Time”, “Modify Date”, “Track Modify Date”, “Media Modify Date” and several “Creation Date” in a .mp4 file. But in .mkv file, there are only three time tags.

This caused two problems,

Firstly, some format can only have “File Creation Date/Time” or “File Modification Date/Time” to record the date, but they are fragile and could easily be changed when moving files. So these tag does not always reflect the actual shooting date.

Moreover, it’s not clear that which tags Mylio is using as the date of a file. For .mp4, “Media Creation Date” seems to be used, but .mkv do not have this tag. And for most files, “File Modification Date/Time” seems to be used, although it’s fragile.

So the reliable way is, using follow command to list all tag names in the file

exiftool -s filename

then find a tag which can reflect the actual shooting date. For example, “MediaCreateDate”. And write it to “FileModifyDate”

exiftool "-FileModifyDate<MediaCreateDate" filename

then you can import this file to Mylio, the date should display correctly.

Continuing to do more research into the issue of incorrect dates while importing.

It looks like Apple’s upgrade to iOS 11 changed the way they processed video files, specifically the file modify date. For my MOV files prior to the date, the file modify date is set to the time the video was created and this time/date is copied over when you download from the DCIM.

After this date, the file modify date for MOV files is typically a few hours to as many as a few days after the time the file was created.

I saw this changeover happen as I upgraded from iOS 10.4 to 11.4 around March 2018.

Prior to this date, Mylio correctly captures the time. However, if you took photos outside of your “home” timezone, you may still need to do some manual time-shifting to take into account differences in time zones. It has to do with the way the Windows file system records the file modification date when your PC is in a different time zone from when you took the photo.

1 Like

As of today this issue is still relevant: videos made with iOS are reported with an incorrect date in Mylio.
This also split live photos (which are still hardly supported at all) and all the videos are stockpiled at the beginning of every folder.
I find that mass-modification of my library might be used as a workaround, but I’d rather not tamper with my original files as is the spirit of Mylio itself and this should be very simple to fix as well. Thanks

I improved my workflow and made a drag and drop batchfile for exiftool. Before importing to Mylio I simply drag my videofiles onto the script and all time stamps are correct in Mylio:

if [%1]==[] goto :eof
:loop
C:\Program Files\Exiftool\exiftool %1 "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal"
shift
if not [%1]==[] goto loop
pause

for MOV files (like iPhone live photos) it would be “-filemodifydate<creationdate”