What subscription provides fo rme?

I have tested Mylio a bit and it does seem like a good tool for it job. What I just don’t get it subscription model and I do think this is going to turn me away. Maybe you can provide me reason why I would like to use it still. Now for me it sounds that If I start to use this software It will cost me about 1000usd/10years and there is still quite a many to go, I hope. After about 30 years I get retired and then I really do have time to take some photos, for maybe 20 more years.

I would be happy to pay for perpetual license with updates when I feel you have accomplished to make features or add support for new OS and cameras. Now I would be forced to pay you decent yearly fee even I would not like the way you are making this software and I would have no reason what so ever to make any changes to my setup. You are not providing me any service. All processing, disk space and electricity is paid by me.

I’m software developer my self I do understand this helps forecasting easier. Just from my side I just can not justify my self to pay subscription for stand alone app, with no added value what so ever.

What happens if suddenly owner of Mylio decides he has had his share of IT and management. Shuts down the office light and turns into a nomad. Or if Mylio is bought by Adobe and subscribers only option is to switch to Adobe Lightroom.

So is there perpetual licenses available or is there a reason why i would pay thousands of dollars for Mylio?

2 Likes

This is actually an interesting technical question, buried in this pricing rant:

If Mylio servers were to suddenly go offline, what exactly would stop working in our existing installed software?

Offhand, it seems like your installed versions of Mylio should keep working & syncing to each other over your local network just fine. Unless maybe there are periodic subscription checks required to keep full functionality running?

I’d expect that peer connections thru firewalls over the Internet between Mylio devices - both direct and relayed connections - would stop working, if Mylio’s STUN/TURN servers went offline.

And not sure, but I think maybe the Cloud connections (Google Drive, Amazon Drive, OneDrive) might stop working? I think I remember seeing here once that Mylio stores a “database instance” for each of these clouds on their servers? Or maybe I’m imagining that…

1 Like

Yep that I would like to know. I have no idea how Mylio works internally, but if it has subscription that affects its functions, it must have something to do with Mylios services. If Mylio is not suddenly validating subscription will my Mylio stay useless, even I have paid maybe thousands of dollars of it?

To avoid this kind of a problem I would much rather OWN then application license not buy SaaS. I could easily pay maintenance fee for time I’m actively using this app. It would not be a problem if price would be closer to same with subscription. This would allow me to stick with version I have, when Mylio starts to get wild with their document sync and processing functions.

Even with owning a license is not that guaranteed that perpetual license could be your for good. For example Autodesk just few years back shut down their old license activation service. That blocked some really old Autodesks products activation for new computers. Some users I know were still happy with their over 10yo Autodeks product, it did its job. So perpetual license could be still working somewhere, but nobody can any more activate this perpetual license for another computer.

That whole reason with OS versions getting pushed more helps you to have kind of same billing model that subscription. In real life if application is not updated frequently OS will not support it and new version needs to be purchased. When that is done and in which steps are still totally up to user. Paying for maintenance is not a problem here either and I do not expect that App I have purchased 5 years ago should work with lates camera support and get new features. So I don’t quite get maintenance problem too much. Of course critical bugs should get fixed and it will cause some extra work for sure.

This is just one thing to consider. Same reason I do not want to use spotify. I can expect to live for a quite a while and I just calculated that using Spotify subscription would cost me about 7KUSD in tota. That is a lots of music to be purchased. I do not expect to stop listening musing in my lifetime, ever. Apple had/has its Music Match service which was great. I paid only to sync music across all of my devices for about 3usd/month. I did own the music and Apple did provide me service I needed.

I accidentally deleted my reply last night when I tried redirecting it.

Just to give a summary by example: If you were to (hypothetically) install a Mylio release today that’s more than a year old on top of the latest Operating Systems, and cut off the cloud (which will be the case for a perpetual product), they won’t be able to sync with each other - at all. Even though it’s the same bits that worked a year today, but because of changes that Apple, Google and Microsoft did, those bits won’t work anymore. If you had it installed and didn’t upgrade - it would stop working.

So if you had a perpetual license that you purchased a year ago you’d be stuck. Similarly if you buy a new phone, the odds are extremely high that an older Mylio version won’t work on it. And I don’t know of many >5 year users that still have their original phones.

A perpetual license really only works well if you can tie a product to a single device and operating system. Mylio fundamentally is not a device-tied product, but much closer to a service in that it transcends your devices, and in the act of using it, it becomes natural to add new devices to your account year over year - and those new devices will realistically have to run new versions of Mylio.

I hear you on the music, and I do the same thing. I purchase the individual songs I want rather than using a subscription service. HOWEVER, I only purchase songs that are DRM-free and has a good chance of working on devices 25 years from now. Not sure if you remember the PlaysForSure or Zune days that had perpetual, but DRM content - and we all know how that went. Movies that you purchase online today still do that.

The model works for MP3’s because I can be virtually guaranteed that all my devices (including new ones) 25 years from now will be able to play today’s .MP3 files. But it’s very unlikely that an ecosystem of devices that you own 25 years from now would be able to run today’s Mylio and sync with each other. I certainly don’t want to give an impression that it would. (Technically if it was really only going to be an issue in 25 years, or even 10, then sure, but historically it has been months or a couple of years at most where the product can continue to work without requiring updates).

I just can’t imagine a perpetual point-in-time license being practical for us. I think something closer to what would suit you though that’s halfway there, is if we were to offer a Lifetime Subscription (or at least a very-long-term subscription) where you would still be able to get regular updates but just having a single payment up front.

Hi,

I have understood that whole idea of Mylio is not to have cloud services at use? Now I just use Mylio at my house, syncing all data to all my devices. NAS is my vault, which is backed up (to cloud). So I hope I now have some sort of a security without a need for cloud services for photo management and sync. How this would not work as long as my devices stays the same? Of course when I do feel need to update any device I do not expect Mylio to support that device and I do need update or I could get stuck, by my own choice.

I just still do not understand how you can see Mylio as service, but idea of “lifetime subscription” sounds better. I think I just was overly excited when first things I did see was “1. Not a Cloud service”, “2. Keep your data private”. This really does not mean that I could actually “own” app, which I was hoping for.

I do just hope that there still can exists systems that does not vendor lock users. That is tempting model for business, but not a way I like to go. Fo example buying Movies for Apple TV sounds stupid. I do not actually buy the movie, just privilege to watch movie from Apple TV as often I do like. I think I won’t be able to watch that movie from my Linux ever. For music I just rebuild old B&O Vinyl player from early 1960. It is astonishing how well it still works when hooked up to newish Sony amp. I think it same lifetime can not be expected from any current service. Unfortunately this B&O has slight issues in mobile use and I think there is no upgrades available…

Thank you for thorough answers. It helped me to understand you a bit more, even I still not buy all the reasons you provided. Business is yours and you can decide model that suits your needs. Money is mine and I can spend it how I like. Reality still is that when user does want to have easy access to own photos and not to use some of the big services there is not too many options available.